More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 04:14:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Widow can't remarry
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Widow can't remarry  (Read 6827 times)
AnnaM
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Widow can't remarry
« on: 2007 June 29, 18:38:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the marriage-postmortum hack installed, and in the RTFM it says that "the surviving partner may remarry as usual". However, now I have a widow in the game and the Propose-Engagement interaction doesn't appear, either from her to her intended or vice versa (they have 100% and are in love, as well).

Any solution?
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
Re: Widow can't remarry
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 29, 19:18:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometimes the marriage flag get stuck; Try this (I've made it exactly for this purpouse) and choose "wipe.../marriages".

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 29, 19:30:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or is it that the widow is trying to marry someone who is already married to someone else?

Tribulatio proxima est
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 29, 20:49:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it Denise Jacquet from Bluewater Village (OFB)?  She has no memory of her husband, Yves, dying (another Maxis blunder).  You have to use the Tombstone of L&D to summon him to the lot.  He'll fade away and it will say that he died on another lot, and then she'll get the memory and be able to marry.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
SnootCB
Irritating Ignoramus

my cat is moar awesome than u

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 29, 20:56:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, if the fiancé is a Uni dormie, you have to Propose... Move In before you can Propose... Engagement Marriage.

Edited because I can't think straight.
« Last Edit: 2007 June 30, 18:42:42 by SnootCB » Logged
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 29, 22:06:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Marriage is overrated. Let 'em live in sin.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 30, 00:17:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This condition seems to be a recurring issue for no particular reason, so an option has been added to the latest Lot Debugger to find and fix these Dead Romances.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 June 30, 00:20:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quick question just adding onto this thread since it is of the same subject:

Say a male and female sim are married. Husband dies, leaves wife widowed. Can she then move up the food chain to his brother? Or will they still be flagged as "family"?

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 June 30, 00:24:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In theory, she could. The game, however, has been known to create odd conditions in which in-laws are flagged as "family" and thus partially ineligible for romance. It is not known why this occurs, nor does it occur consistently, or even in both directions, sort of like how some in-laws can encourage, and others can't, and that sometimes a sim is not allowed to initiate many flirts (and has the "family kiss" action), while the other sim does not. It is a great mystery. No one knows why this happens sometimes and not other times. Usually at least one party will be able to make the moves, and the problem goes away if they develop crush/love.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 June 30, 01:36:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sweet. Thanks.  Grin

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
AnnaM
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 June 30, 07:53:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all the answers.

The widow is a Maxis creation, but it's not Denise Jacquet, it's a Sophie (probably a townie originally) who married Leod McGregor in Bluewater (and is now called McGregor herself, so I don't remember her original surname).

Her intended is a born-in-game Sim who has never been married, and I have already moved him in with her (through the Neighbourhood since he previously lived alone): the "Propose" actions weren't available before he moved in, and aren't available now. (Propose-Engagement isn't available either.)

I was quite happy to let them live in sin, but he keeps hitting on every skirt he meets (with ACR) and that's not at all what I want, so I wanted to add a "committment" flag to curb that a bit...

I will check if she has a memory of her husband dying; then I'll try the lot debugger (didn't know of this option) and/or Marhis' fix, and we'll see...

Another thing that I noticed after posting is that she didn't have a "Try for baby" action when relaxing with him on their bed now that he's moved in with her. That is even more annoying because I want more babies in that family, and I assume it's related to this. I'll try things out and report back.
AnnaM
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 June 30, 09:21:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, so I checked and the widow had the memory of her husband's death. I tried summoning Leod anyway, and he dutifully appeared, waved buh-buh and disappeared again with the message that he'd died on another lot. This didn't fix the problem (and at that point I didn't expect it to).

So I tried the lot debugger and there was no appropriate option. Considered coming here to whine about it, then had a brainwave and checked the FTP listing, and lo, the debugger had been updated since I'd re-downloaded it a few days back. So I re-downloaded it again, installed, went back and the option was there (I would thank Pescado but he might not appreciate it). Used the option and lo, it worked! (Leod still showing as Sophie's husband in the family tree, but the Propose-Engagement option is available -- which I assume is the intended correct behaviour.) Life in Riverrun can go on!  Smiley
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 June 30, 18:37:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have always had this problem (even though I have the marriage-postmortum hack) so I'm very happy the lot debugger can fix it now  Cheesy

Before, I would fix it with SimPE but sometimes the marriage ties wouldn't show up so I would have to wait until they finally did before I could fix it  Roll Eyes Yesterday I think I managed to fix it in-game with InSIM, when the dead spouses ghost was on the Lot (cleared the marriage flags) but I haven't confirmed that sim is actually fixed yet. If it isn't, it's nice to know I will be able to fix it with the lot debugger.

For a long time I wouldn't let my sims get married because of this bug!

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 July 01, 13:17:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have this problem off and on and have fixed it successfully with insim (only to have it break again when the next spouse died, ok that was a black widower.) But the lot debugger option sounds much better - I'll be trying that from now on. (Is the lot debugger becoming insim ;)

Unsouper
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 July 01, 14:15:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. The Lot Debugger's purpose is fundamentally different from Insim. The Lot Debugger aims to restore normalcy to the game after something goes wrong with it, Insim is aimed at allowing you to do weird, potentially wrong things to your game.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: