More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 09:35:16

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Why would custom genetics not show up? (but objects are!)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Why would custom genetics not show up? (but objects are!)  (Read 4884 times)
unstuck
Asinine Airhead

Vintage Sims: because technology ruined us

View Profile
Why would custom genetics not show up? (but objects are!)
« on: 2007 October 26, 03:51:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently moved my game to a new computer, and most of it is fine (my neighbourhood, sims, etc..) except that custom genetics and clothing are not showing up.  Custom objects, walls, and floors are showing up just fine.  Obviously Custom Content is enabled.  My default replacement skintones/eyes/CAS faces are fine too.  But NONE of the clothing,hair or non-default genetics are showing up in either BS or CAS!!

I have all EPS up to and including BV.  Any ideas?

thank you.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
Re: Why would custom genetics not show up? (but objects are!)
« Reply #1 on: 2007 October 26, 04:44:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe the non-default genetics needs to be updated. I have custom hair and custom clothes that show up just fine in my game.

purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 October 26, 06:14:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried the bodyshop trick? It's a known issue for some time that when installing a new EP..or reinstalling, sometimes CC fails to show up.

Cut and paste from MTS2 game help faq ('cause I'm lazy like that):

The Body Shop Trick
Follow these instructions TO THE LETTER. This is a very quick, easy fix, but you must do it EXACTLY as described or it won't work. We are going to remove your existing Downloads folder, and use Body Shop to regenerate a new one.

Step One:

Open your My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/ folder.
Select the Downloads folder.
Cut (ctrl-x) - that's CUT, not COPY - your Downloads folder and Paste (ctrl-v) it to your computer's Desktop.
Make sure there is now no folder called Downloads in your My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/ folder. It is important that the Downloads folder not be present in that folder for this to work.
Step Two:

Run Body Shop. Body Shop comes with your game and is already installed. If you have never run it before, you can find a shortcut to it under Start - Program Files - EA Games - The Sims 2 (or newest expansion) - The Sims 2 Body Shop.
It may seem like nothing's happening as Body Shop starts to load, and it may take several minutes to finish loading fully.
When it has loaded, just close it again. You just needed to run the program - you don't need to do anything within it.
Step Three:

Open your My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/ folder again. You will notice that there is a new Downloads folder in there, which Body Shop made when it ran.
Open the Downloads folder that is sitting on your desktop.
Select All (ctrl-A) and Cut (ctrl-x) to take out everything in that folder.
Open the My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads folder and Paste your custom content files back into it.
Delete the now-empty old Downloads folder that is on your desktop.
Step Four:

Load the game and see if your missing content now shows up.  You can also try to place the content in your saved sims folder. Sometimes moving genetics to the savedsims folder works for folks.

Hopefully this will work.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 October 26, 06:22:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could also, if you haven't done so already, try a reboot.

Zephyr Zodiac
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 October 26, 07:07:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried deleting CASThumbnails.package and letting the game generate a new one when you start it up?

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 October 26, 12:32:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The solution is easy and I seem to be the one that always answers it.  Make sure your Downloads folder is spelled with an uppercase "D".  Lowercase D downloads will show objects, but not bodyshop items.

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
unstuck
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 October 27, 03:51:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "bodyshop trick," as PurpleHaze suggested, did the trick !!  Thank you very much.

Cwieberdink, you might be right that it's the spelling that makes the difference, but the funny thing is, that my downloads folder was always spelt with a lowercase "d" in my old game and worked just fine.  I literally just copied and pasted it. 

This game is more capricious than my 83-year-old Argentinean grandmother.  Hm! Anyway, thanks kids. 

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 October 28, 17:01:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "bodyshop trick," as PurpleHaze suggested, did the trick !!  Thank you very much.

That's because when you did this trick, it generated a new Downloads folder, that had a capital D.   Wink

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
unstuck
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 October 30, 00:22:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

[/quote]

That's because when you did this trick, it generated a new Downloads folder, that had a capital D.   Wink
[/quote]

But as I just mentioned above, my dowloads folder has ALWAYS had a lowercase d and worked fine.... I literally just copied and pasted to my new comp.

Bizarre. Well, No More Trifling with Dangerous Lowercaseness!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: