More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 08:42:29

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Object packages to read only
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Object packages to read only  (Read 4327 times)
LadyLiberty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Object packages to read only
« on: 2007 December 26, 03:37:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have searched and found no list, per se, of the object packages that should be changed to read only.  I am wondering if any of you have a list of these packages, other than the single object package that shows up for each EP and SP in the program files, that you would be willing to share.  I have explored and found many other object type packages, but am not awesome enough to know which others are safe/recommended to change, and I would be grateful for awesome advice in this area.

After installing Celebrations and losing my video card, I have begun my entire game anew with a complete reinstall.  I wish to make this as pleasurable an experience as possible as well as have this set up to last through the rest of The Sims 2 reign, and so am trying to head _all_ the EA problems off at the pass.  Much obliged.

*holds up targe in anticipation of pokage
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Object packages to read only
« Reply #1 on: 2007 December 26, 03:44:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*.*

Just remove write permissions to the entire directory tree.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
LadyLiberty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 26, 04:09:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had read that before, and am trying to understand.  After one installs the games to program files, these do not change again until addition of another EP/SP, yes?  All the information that changes as you have a play session is saved to the local game?   

Please forgive, as after reading many, many posts, sometimes the information seems to conflict and I hadn't set up a new game in a long time.  I read one post that said the person found 15 packages to change, another elsewhere said that information gets written to the packages. 

Changing the entire directory will be much easier.

The awesome ness rules!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 December 26, 04:20:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had read that before, and am trying to understand.  After one installs the games to program files, these do not change again until addition of another EP/SP, yes?  All the information that changes as you have a play session is saved to the local game?
All mutable files are supposed to change only in the user directory. The core files are not altered except by patches or possibly new expansions.

Please forgive, as after reading many, many posts, sometimes the information seems to conflict and I hadn't set up a new game in a long time.  I read one post that said the person found 15 packages to change, another elsewhere said that information gets written to the packages.
It's not SUPPOSED to be! That's sort of the entire point of denying write permission!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 December 26, 05:52:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If information gets written to the files in the Program Files directory, your game blows up.

So what you read was right. The game will  try to write information to those files. And then... KABOOM!!!

What you probably read (15 files, etc.) is people making just the objects.package files read-only. This is enough to prevent the most common problems, but won't prevent everything.

Fail.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 December 26, 06:13:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd suggest simply mounting the entire sims install directory as read-only. This will make it absolutely impossible to write to it, since it is not only permission-denied, but mounted read-only so nothing can be written.

LadyLiberty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 December 30, 00:00:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The clear explanation is much appreciated.  I had been snipping and pasting like mad, experimenting, and rebuilding this neighborhood, as well as having become interested in the modding aspects.  It's a little like Dorothy in Oz...  just so darned simple when you understand it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: