More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 09:53:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Okay, Anyone Doing the Sims/Vista Rhumba?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Okay, Anyone Doing the Sims/Vista Rhumba?  (Read 26361 times)
MxxPwr
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Okay, Anyone Doing the Sims/Vista Rhumba?
« Reply #25 on: 2007 February 18, 16:20:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems likely that your massive loading speedup is mostly caused by the massive jump you took in available RAM.

And probably also a faster/larger-cache HDD. One of those hidden tech jumps that processor producers and software makers take performance credit for.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 February 18, 17:01:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vista just seems faster because your components are better.  If you clean installed XP over the top of that performance would be 5%-35% better at the moment but you'd lose stuff like Aero, Flip3D, and DirectX 10.

Oh yeah, since most computers today don't come with a floppy disk drive you'll need to use nLite to embed your SATA drivers with a XP install disk if you're installing from boot.  Vista doesn't require this.  I feel that this is an important point to mention since your computer manufacturer might not provide the drivers anymore, making installing XP impossible to install.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 February 18, 19:43:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just bought a new Dell XPS 410, Intel Core Duo 6400 (2.13 GHz) with 4 GB RAM, ATI 1300 Pro video card (256 MB).  It came with Vista.  The game, with all EPs and about 1.5 GB of custom content, loads in about a minute.  This compared to *at least* 15-20 minutes on my old machine (Pentium IV 2.4 GHz with 1 GB of RAM and Radeon 9600XT video card).  The graphics settings in-game default to low or medium, but I have turned up just about everything to the max setting and there is no lag at all.  I was a little worried about how the video card would perform with Vista because it's on Maxis's list of "OK" cards, not "Good", but I have zero complaints so far, after about 3 days of playing the game on the new machine.  All my hacks work fine.

*SCREEM* Your stats are about identical to mine. I can't wait for my computer to get here. I think I probably won't notice the difference because my old computer was so sucky.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 February 19, 02:02:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And probably also a faster/larger-cache HDD. One of those hidden tech jumps that processor producers and software makers take performance credit for.

I'm sure you're right about that.  My old PC had an 80 GB hard drive and it only had about 20 GB free space.
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 March 06, 19:38:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't we as Sims 2 owners have enough to worry about without throwing in a new operating system?  I say instead of spending the money on the operating system, throw more hardware at your computer.  My husband has a new computer with Vista and all the hardware that is suppose to be speedier---my computer leaves his in the dust--it's all about power hungry bad ass components.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 March 06, 19:50:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, but my old computer was all about the little hamster in a wheel. It was five years old. I ran out of room for RAM. You get the idea. My new Vista compy smokes my old one. I worked it out and it wasn't worth it to upgrade the old abacus further. The timing was right because I was also buying new, fairly simple games like CivCity Rome that I couldn't play properly.

Eh, my two cents.

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 March 07, 05:45:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vista: All your soul are belong to me. Cancel or allow?

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 March 07, 14:05:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ALLOW! If I say cancel, my new machine will probably kill me in my sleep. Send help PLZ.

Cons
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 March 07, 15:28:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now unless they fixed this little jewel with Vista (My B-I-L is a beta tester for M$) at some point you'll want to do something and the little box will pop up asking for the Administrator Password. You won't have it.
According to my B-I-L Vista on install does not give an option to create an Administrative password. So now what are you going to do? There is a work around and I'm sure the hackers have it or are working on it, but I don't need any OS that won't let me change what I want to change.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 March 09, 10:16:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My ex told me the other day that Vista asks every time if you want to run an unsigned programme. (If it's in the startup folder he said). As many programmes are unsigned by MS this would be a nightmare on its own. He said there's no way of turning it off.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 March 14, 08:39:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, I got myself a new laptop a couple of days ago. With Vista. I did make sure it was the Business edition that could be rolled back to XP if I wanted, but I decided to give Vista a go first. So I've spent the last two nights turning shit off. Finally I have the admin account, no irritating popup messages and a pretty interface. We'll see.

It also has nvidia (6150?) graphics, which could be interesting. 256MB but some of that is system RAM. It's an AMD dual core 2.0Ghz with 1GB RAM. I was going to try an Intel core duo but the best deal I could get was this one.

I'm house-sitting this weekend with possibly no Internet, so I'll see how the Sims runs. I won't be able to load all EPs but I'll try 3-4 of them.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 March 14, 04:27:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My ex told me the other day that Vista asks every time if you want to run an unsigned programme. (If it's in the startup folder he said). As many programmes are unsigned by MS this would be a nightmare on its own. He said there's no way of turning it off.
As if being SIGNED is somehow a good thing. A Microsoft certificate of authenticity is worth less than shit to me.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 March 15, 01:38:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True. I'll choose the software I think is good on my PC, thanks very much. MS does NOT pwn my PC or the Interweb, much as it might like to think so.

That user interface thingie Vista is running (UIC?), that's a nannying, interfering, nagging, irritating piece of work. I've turned that off and will make my own security arrangements.

Twibil
Blathering Buffoon

I open at the close.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 2007 March 28, 02:32:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I work for Office Max and not a day goes by that at least two people come in with the complaints that the software they were using on XP will not work on Vista.  They come into the store looking for updated programs that are compatible with Vista, but there are so few out there at the moment.  Even 2007 versions of Microslop software aren't compatible.  I had 2 people just this morning wanting to update MS Streets and Trips, but the newest version (2007) is not compatible.  I have received more complaints about that program than any other.  I feel bad for these poor folks that spend money on a tech to install their software and it doesn't end up working anyway. (Mostly elderly folks.) I really don't want to get vista until it is absolutely neccesary.  I have heard too many complaints in the last month.  I have messed about with the few Vista machines we have on display and fail to see what all the hubub is about.  XP is good enough for me.

"The rumors that Peter Pan was a fairy are completely unsubstantiated; Not that there's anything wrong with that." - Pascal Curious

www.curiousstate.com
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 March 28, 03:07:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well so far the sims runs great on Vista. The only real stumbling block I have found is the webcam, doesn't have Vista drivers. Everything else works fine except I hate their sucky version of Windoze Explorer. Put away your crappy popups, I know where I'm going.

Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2007 March 28, 06:12:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

More Awesome Than You will not support Vista at this time. Perhaps when it has been properly hacked.

Err, it's been cracked for a while now, they're exploiting the OEM SLP activation and it's real easy to do.
[size=0pt]Paradox OEM BIOS Emulation Toolkit or Vista Loader 2.1.2[/size]

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 March 28, 11:20:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Err, it's been cracked for a while now, they're exploiting the OEM SLP activation and it's real easy to do.
[size=0pt]Paradox OEM BIOS Emulation Toolkit or Vista Loader 2.1.2[/size]
You're quoting a nearly 2-month old post to bring up information that came up a month after that post?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
IAmTheRad
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 March 28, 17:34:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do the vista/sims 2 rhumba, and can't play the sims without it. Ironically, every other game I play I play under XP (because they use OpenGL for the video support, and OpenGL support on Vista is non-existant because they want to have every single person use their DirectX 10 support and they abandon the OpenGL support there...)

Now, I use the pirate edition, and haven't needed to activate it, and still I get windows updates (but I check the place where I got the crack to not activate it to see if a windows patch might disable this feature since Microsoft doesn't need my money)

Now, even when I get some juttering with Vista, mostly on community lots, otherwise it runs fairly smoothly. I must have my thumbnail views because I play in windowed mode and alt-tab often.

(EDIT:) New ATI drivers for vista were released today. Hopefully they help with the choppiness, and perhaps even I might be able to play the OpenGL games under Vista. If I can't, it's no huge issue to use XP for them.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2007 March 30, 07:56:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No more Vista Rhumba for me. This morning I woke up and knew I didn't want Vista in my life anymore. I was sick of the networking issues, how I had to fight to get an admin account, how many drivers are not yet available and even how the defrag wouldn't show me how far along it was, let alone a pictorial representation. I hated the clumsy Windoze Explorer interface which preferred to show me little groupings of folders instead of the contents of my hard drives. Yay, it's all gone. Formatted and dead. No more Vista, no more rules.  Grin No more bloody 9GB HP partition uninvited on my hard drive.

It was an interesting journey. Thirty minutes on the phone to Microsoft, two Indian men who only wanted a number from me, an English chap who understood I was 'down'grading from Vista Business and a nice young woman who completed the activation. I was concerned that I had used a Win XP Pro product key that belonged to the educational institution where I work, I emailed MS helpdesk here. An MS rep rang back about an hour later and basically reassured me that no-one ever checks on anything but businesses and volume licenses. Hmmm.

The HP site had no WinXP Pro drivers for my model laptop. So I tried their online chat to a technician. Cool feature, she gave me the mainboard and video drivers. Unfortunately the wrong video driver which had a craptacular result of fuzzy dancing columns of colour. Once I sorted that out - and tried a number of other drivers - I went back to the HP chat and a helpful young man ftp'd all the drivers I needed. Excellent service. Welcome back XP, all is forgiven.

Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 April 03, 17:33:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am going to be doing the Sims/Vista rhumba after TS2 finishes reinstalling (the Vista PC lacks the necessary registry entries to run it at present). I can always go back to the XP PC if necessary, even if it does now crash approximately every 15-30 minutes.

Will modify post once I've got all EPs and SPs (with the exception of Celebration Stuff) reinstalled.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2007 April 03, 23:05:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No more Vista Rhumba for me. This morning I woke up and knew I didn't want Vista in my life anymore. I was sick of the networking issues, how I had to fight to get an admin account, how many drivers are not yet available and even how the defrag wouldn't show me how far along it was, let alone a pictorial representation. I hated the clumsy Windoze Explorer interface which preferred to show me little groupings of folders instead of the contents of my hard drives. Yay, it's all gone. Formatted and dead. No more Vista, no more rules.  Grin No more bloody 9GB HP partition uninvited on my hard drive.

It was an interesting journey. Thirty minutes on the phone to Microsoft, two Indian men who only wanted a number from me, an English chap who understood I was 'down'grading from Vista Business and a nice young woman who completed the activation. I was concerned that I had used a Win XP Pro product key that belonged to the educational institution where I work, I emailed MS helpdesk here. An MS rep rang back about an hour later and basically reassured me that no-one ever checks on anything but businesses and volume licenses. Hmmm.

The HP site had no WinXP Pro drivers for my model laptop. So I tried their online chat to a technician. Cool feature, she gave me the mainboard and video drivers. Unfortunately the wrong video driver which had a craptacular result of fuzzy dancing columns of colour. Once I sorted that out - and tried a number of other drivers - I went back to the HP chat and a helpful young man ftp'd all the drivers I needed. Excellent service. Welcome back XP, all is forgiven.

This is very inspiring to me. I have been thinking about doing this as well. I have customized a lot of my settings, etc, but I still feel like I'm hobbled by it daily. I don't want to be a beta tester anymore!  Cry

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2007 April 04, 06:47:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is very inspiring to me. I have been thinking about doing this as well. I have customized a lot of my settings, etc, but I still feel like I'm hobbled by it daily. I don't want to be a beta tester anymore!  Cry

Friends don't let friends use Vista - break free of those chains.

Have you tried to open the Documents and Settings folder yet? Even as admin?
ACCESS DENIED!
WTF?!? This is my damn PC and I'll open any damn folder I like. I like to edit the start menu and put a copy in all users, I think it is - or default user.

Let me in Vista - or you die.
OK. You die.

Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2007 April 04, 07:32:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried to open the Documents and Settings folder yet? Even as admin?
ACCESS DENIED!
WTF?!? This is my damn PC and I'll open any damn folder I like. I like to edit the start menu and put a copy in all users, I think it is - or default user.
Eh?

Vista doesn't have a Documents and Settings folder (unless it's one you transferred from an XP install). If that's the case, then right-click on the folder, select Security, then Advanced, then Owner, then Edit. Allow the UAC prompt, select either your name or the Administrators group, and check the box next to "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". Hit OK to everything, and it should work now.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: 2007 April 04, 07:36:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to admit, that is a very pretty interface. Apparently, Vista is trying to make Windoze look like a Mac. Tongue

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2007 April 04, 07:43:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, maybe it was called user settings or something. Maybe also because I disabled the UAC first thing, I turned off an AWFUL lot of crap. Maybe I completely borked Vista!  Grin

ETA: Yes, it's very pretty - which is why I gave it a chance. I loved the way you could choose your own colours for the UI and I loved the swirly green/blue desktop image. Otherwise - meh.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: