More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 01:46:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  loading stupor & fund drive
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: loading stupor & fund drive  (Read 3452 times)
slurpeefiend
Feckless Fool

get a head of the competition...

View Profile
loading stupor & fund drive
« on: 2007 April 04, 18:56:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bought Seasons a few days ago, but have yet to be able to enjoy it.  The only computer in the house that can handle Sims 2 is the wife's laptop from college, which is fast approaching its fourth birthday.  The poor thing struggles a little to keep up with everything the game wants to do, but is workable (though it gets so overheated that i had to buy a desk fan to blow on the computer just to keep it from shutting itself off in an act of self preservation).  Never mind that the first time I installed Seasons it decided to Uninstall Pets for me... a quick removal of all things Sims 2 and a ground-up reinstallation of everything solved that. 

My problem, and the reason I'm posting this, is that I can't get my computer to start the game for me.  Of the two to three dozen times I've tried starting Seasons it's only let me in twice.  Once I'm in everything works as well as can be expected for this computer, but getting it to load seems almost impossible.  What happens is that the computer starts loading the game as normal, but after the initial splash graphic disappears, the CD drive goes into some kind of stupor.  The LED for the CD drive won't go off, indicating that it thinks it's working, but the drive slows down into not-being-used-right-now mode.  While this is happening it's impossible to do anything other than move the cursor around the screen.  The only way to regain control of the computer is to eject the CD, which gives me the "you need to have the CD in the drive to play this game, you moron..." alert window.  This isn't the first time this has happened to me either.  It started when I bought Nightlife well over a year ago, and even persisted after a complete reformatting of the hard drive.  In the past I've usually been able to get into the game after a few tries, but now it seems to be next to impossible to get past this barrier.

I realize that this is probably a hardware problem, and that getting a new computer would solve this (and a whole slew of other problems) for me.  I'm hoping that someone out there knows of a way to make the hardware play nice with the game.  My other option is to just buy a new computer that works, but I'm not a wealthy man and can't afford to do that without the generous outpouring of donations from other members of this site.  I'm willing to take donations to the "Buy slurpeefiend a New Computer Fund" if any of you are interested in that (send me a pm and we'll talk about it).  If not, I'd be grateful for advice any of you could give me on how to get my game started, or how to quickly and easily raise the money for a new computer.

Why oh why didn't I take the red pill?
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
Re: loading stupor & fund drive
« Reply #1 on: 2007 April 04, 19:27:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the problem mainly lies with CDrom seek, why not just go to gamecopyworld and download the fixed exe for seasons? Then you won't need to have the cd in and you can save yourself some frustration. Smiley So until you can afford to get the new computer, you'll be able to play to the best of your computer's ability.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 April 05, 01:43:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or... go the daemontools route.  Get yourself an image somehow, use daemontools to mount it, get sd4hider or ASR.  It's easy peasy. Smiley

Ste

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 April 05, 04:21:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It really sucks that people must resort to using cracks and mini-images just to play a game that *should* work properly in the first place. Stupid EA.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
slurpeefiend
Feckless Fool

get a head of the competition...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 April 05, 07:56:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It really sucks that people must resort to using cracks and mini-images just to play a game that *should* work properly in the first place. Stupid EA.
The game works just fine... the weak link here that's killing me is the CD drive built into this laptop going all pot-head on me.  Still, I put the blame for this problem squarely on those jerks out there in the production houses and tv stations who haven't hired me for large sums of money yet.

Why oh why didn't I take the red pill?
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 April 06, 02:53:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But if you didn't need the CD in the drive in the first place, it would be much less of an issue.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: