More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 23:07:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How does a dormie get a degree?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How does a dormie get a degree?  (Read 12561 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
How does a dormie get a degree?
« on: 2005 September 11, 12:06:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK. I finally got some dormies to move in. -discovered I had put 2jeffs dormiegenderchoosing hack in my downloads folder, of course it conflicted with Pescado's nodormieregen. So, finally figured that one out!

Now my sims are busy at uni, busy rampaging and romancing.

If I want a dormie to move in, so they can get a degree at the same time as my sims, how do I do it? To marry a dormie, they just put a ring on each other's finger, I don't even get the proper marriage arch option. There is no 'move in' option. I could graduate my sim and get the dormie to move in to the n'hood, but then the dormie misses out on the degree.

I could use Inge's teleporter but I can't believe Maxis left no way to get hitched with the dormies and move them in with the family at uni. I don't want to move the sim to a flat, I'm putting a batch through uni together.

Any ideas?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Re: How does a dormie get a degree?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 September 11, 12:17:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

if you graduate your sim and move them back to the neighbourhood, then marry a dormie...  the dormie comes as though they have graduated...  or at least, that's what's happened in my game...  I was always able to marry them properly (with the arch) and all, too...

Ness
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 September 11, 13:03:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a dormie I wanted to marry to a CAS sim, but I wanted him to have a real degree. When his CAS girlfriend finished her last semester, I had her move onto an empty Uni lot, invite her boyfriend over, then ask him to move in (since he had been a resident at her dorm). Once he was controllable, I had her move to the neighborhood and him back to the dorm. It was a pretty roundabout way of doing it, but it got the job done. Not sure if it has any after effects, the boyfriend sim bored me to tears and I stopped playing them altogether.

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005 September 11, 13:13:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You need to move your own Sim into a residential lot or Greek lot, then move the dormie in. You can't move anyone into a dorm, they have to move in for themselves.  I've put quite a few dormies through degrees now. 

Alternatively, if you want to keep the dormie as a dormie, take control of them temporarily and send them to class/do assignments/whatever, then relinquish control when you are fed-up of them and they'll go back to being dormies again.  When they've graduated, they will move out as long as you keep control of them.  That way you don't ever have to actually move them in and they can get their degrees whilst remaining in a dorm rather than a residential lot.  You can always use one of the mods that allow them to go through Uni all at once (i.e., cheat so they keep getting full bars and go to their finals one after the other - that's the best way to do it if you have someone waiting for them in the neighbourhood and you don't want the hassle of playing them through the entire 4 semesters).

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 September 11, 23:08:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

if you graduate your sim and move them back to the neighbourhood, then marry a dormie...  the dormie comes as though they have graduated...  or at least, that's what's happened in my game...  I was always able to marry them properly (with the arch) and all, too...
Ness
Is there any way of telling what the dormie majored in if I use this method?
Were you able to marry them in a dorm or did you have to move them in to a house first?

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 September 11, 23:14:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You need to move your own Sim into a residential lot or Greek lot, then move the dormie in. You can't move anyone into a dorm, they have to move in for themselves.
Ah ha. Thanks. 

Alternatively, if you want to keep the dormie as a dormie, take control of them temporarily and send them to class/do assignments/whatever, then relinquish control when you are fed-up of them and they'll go back to being dormies again.
Without macrotastics and college rampage, nah, I'm far too lazy to be that organised.  Tongue I have difficulty spotting the little buggers even, here's a dormie, where's a dormie, there's a dormie, too late, vanished again.

You can always use one of the mods that allow them to go through Uni all at once (i.e., cheat so they keep getting full bars and go to their finals one after the other - that's the best way to do it if you have someone waiting for them in the neighbourhood and you don't want the hassle of playing them through the entire 4 semesters).
and a mod like that might be...?  Cool

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 September 11, 23:17:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a dormie I wanted to marry to a CAS sim, but I wanted him to have a real degree. When his CAS girlfriend finished her last semester, I had her move onto an empty Uni lot, invite her boyfriend over, then ask him to move in (since he had been a resident at her dorm). Once he was controllable, I had her move to the neighborhood and him back to the dorm. It was a pretty roundabout way of doing it, but it got the job done. Not sure if it has any after effects, the boyfriend sim bored me to tears and I stopped playing them altogether.
Yes, that's what I would have tried today, just to see if she could move him in that way. I might wait till a couple have graduated though, I'm running six sims in a dorm and that's enough if I want to do any plot development for the individual sims, I reckon!

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 September 12, 01:10:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure, but does the Diploma give their major?

Zephyr Zodiac
Maria
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 September 12, 04:33:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems to be that if the dormie has never been controlled by a player (is a randomly generated dormie, not Marla Biggs, or the Sharpes or that Phoenix guy, etc), then when a sim from the neighborhood marries that dormie, s/he is given all six wants slots and a degree in a randomly chosen major.  One of my characters married a dormie named Lakshmi Graham, and it took two tries to get all the wedding pictures.  The first time she came into the family with 11k and a degree in physics, the second time she had 17k and a degree in drama.  I don't even control dormies with the mind-control mirror anymore, for fear it will make it so I actually have to play their way through school.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 September 12, 06:49:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I just moved Stella Terrano into a house, and her dormie boyfriend moved in too (Amar something) and they seem quite happy together, and since she's got to get her degree, it's no more bother to get him to get his too.  And he can sleep in a BED, instead of sleeping standing up behind the door of his dorm room!

And I just noticed something interesting!  Dormies who move into houses and become playable can do something on the computer that other sims can't, and least, Amar can - he has the extra option "Hack Grades"!  I haven't needed to use it for him, but it's obviously an option worth bearing in mind!
« Last Edit: 2005 September 12, 15:42:09 by ZephyrZodiac » Logged

Zephyr Zodiac
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 September 12, 21:42:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to add this, it seems that if the dormie is in the Secret Society (which it turns out Amar is) then they can hack their grades.   I imagine that any sim who succeeds in getting in the Secret Society early in their uni career could benefit from this!

Zephyr Zodiac
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 September 13, 05:27:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes sims can hack grades, the one time I had a sim try it, he got caught! Can't remember what happened, it was my first (now dead) n'hood I tried in, but I know the outcome wasn't good. Sad

Kestran
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 September 13, 17:52:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

About these uni townies...do they only get a degree if you marry them not when you move them in? I had one of my Sims (who has never been to Uni) invite one of her Uni friends to live with her and she 'grew up' without any degree at all. She just has a red cross over her Uni icon and only has the normal 6 slot want/fears.

Would it have been different if the person doing the inviting had already graduated from Uni? Or if said Uni townie had been living in a dorm? In my University hood I only have one dorm and this Uni townie did not live in it.

Kestran.
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 September 13, 17:58:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

About these uni townies...do they only get a degree if you marry them not when you move them in? I had one of my Sims (who has never been to Uni) invite one of her Uni friends to live with her and she 'grew up' without any degree at all. She just has a red cross over her Uni icon and only has the normal 6 slot want/fears.

Would it have been different if the person doing the inviting had already graduated from Uni? Or if said Uni townie had been living in a dorm? In my University hood I only have one dorm and this Uni townie did not live in it.

Kestran.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the adult status of the uni townie depends on the sim asking them to move in. If the sim has graduated from college, the uni townie will have too. Your uni townie has the "dropped out" symbol because the sim asking her to move in never went to college, and therefor didn't graduate from college. I hope that makes sense. Smiley
smcnic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 September 13, 19:31:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have most of my Sims marry dormies...I'll usually have them romance while in the dorm, not taking control of the dormie, then move my Sim back to the n-hood upon graduation.  She/he asks the dormie to move in, then they marry. 

I'm not positive, but in my experience, if the dormie in question was actually a resident in the dorm the entire time my Sim was, then the dormie comes with a degree.  If the dormie was NOT a resident in the same Sims dorm (just visited the lot, or my Sim got their number from the directory), then they do NOT come with a degree.  So I tend to limit my potential matches to dormies living on the lot in question.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 September 13, 21:12:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Amar did a bit of hacking, and luckily didn't get caught!  Maybe if they're in the Secret Society, then they have immunity?  But Stella Terrano doesn't get the "Hack Grades" option.

Zephyr Zodiac
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 September 13, 21:17:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they need to be in the Secret Society just to hack grades in the first place.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 September 13, 21:26:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought that was propbably the case - haven't got to know any dormies well enough that aren't members, though!  Beginning to think they all are!

Zephyr Zodiac
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 September 13, 21:26:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe if they're in the Secret Society, then they have immunity?

That's what I thought, until I heard the wailing of the sirens. Almost made me jump out of my chair 'cos it was so sudden and I had the speakers on loud. That, or unless I dreamt it Tongue.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 September 13, 21:36:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did your sim get kicked out?

Zephyr Zodiac
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 September 13, 21:50:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's been a while, can't recall exactly what happened, but I think the computer was confiscated and the effort for the semester dipped drastically. Flubbed up in SimPE surgery not long after and had to play from scratch 'cos I didn't back up the entire Sims 2 folder and the game wasn't restorable. Anyway, I've stopped hacking grades since (novelty wore off), especially after I found out the 'double effort' loophole from influencing other sims to write the term-paper. Been about 2 months since my latest replay, will try grades hacking again on the SS lot as soon as I've brought the last family up to speed.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 September 13, 21:52:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Amartried it from home, but I didn't let hime keep it up for long - just wanted to see how it worked, really, but since nothing bad happened I kept it in!

Zephyr Zodiac
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 September 13, 22:02:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy. Last time I did that was from a dorm. The household of 8 (townie teens, no scholarships) didn't have much simoleans, and I was going, "no, no, no! not the computer! they'll have to share 3 pcs among 8 people!". Didn't save of course Tongue. Well, now I have a noticeably smaller neighbourhood rid of almost all the townies I didn't want, which means easier to manage files in SimPE and I can experiment again.
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 September 14, 04:03:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The way I understand it, and mind you I am not certain, is that once you have been to the Secret Society House you can hack grades from anywhere, but (as with counterfeiting) it is much safer at the SS house. I'm unsure if the odds of getting caught are Zero, or only very low, but I think that this is how it works.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 September 14, 05:40:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I graduated my sims, returned to original n'hood and invited the npc dormies I wanted to move in. No problems. Each npc said yes, did a twirl and became adult. Both npc's had a political science degree but I guess that's just the luck of the draw. Six wants, two locks. One more 'move in' to go tonight, fingers crossed.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: