More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 01:55:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  TS1 - 'cause I can't be the *only* one...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TS1 - 'cause I can't be the *only* one...  (Read 9679 times)
Elvie
Feckless Fool

View Profile
TS1 - 'cause I can't be the *only* one...
« on: 2006 August 16, 20:32:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nobody beats MATY for the bestest TS2 info and mods.

Wouldn't it be swell to have a TS1 corner of the site for those of us who still play the original? 

Heck, it would even be awesome to have a TS1 FAQ for content and mods.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: TS1 - 'cause I can't be the *only* one...
« Reply #1 on: 2006 August 16, 21:01:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We don't *HAVE* any TS1 content or mods, so that would be pointless.

However, you're welcome to pretend we do. I place you in charge of the imaginary TS1 section.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
staroverthebay
Nitwitted Nuisance

¯\(º_o)/¯ lol wut?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 August 16, 21:59:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

... actually, you CAN be the only one.

There Can BE Only One.

*argh... fucking Duncan MacLeod syndrome again!*

¯\(º_o)/¯ I dunno lol
YOUNG AND STUPID.
Introverted, Sensing, Thinking and Perceiving. Conclusion: I IS TOILET PAPER!
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 August 17, 00:36:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still have TS1+LL here. I never play it because the sims move like tanks and stomp their feet every two seconds.

Mizz Rose Bud
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 August 18, 21:27:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I´m not sure if I understand this correct ... sorry if that is a fact. *LOL*

My friend Junipur plays TS1, and she was concerned (sp?) about feeling alone, when TS2 came out ... you can find her in N99´s TS1 forum, and maybe lurk her over here .... then you are 2  Tongue

Rose
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 August 18, 23:19:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh.  Cheesy

Sims 1 was great for the time but it was a nightmare to play. The sims would spaz about every little thing. Privacy was a huge deal in the bathroom, but that wouldn't stop sims from barging in, blocking the sim onto the toilet for about five hours, then throwing a tantrum because they can't get to the toilet (which they still sometimes do anyway). Heaven forbid you don't let them sleep till their energy meter fills all the way (another thing to throw a tantrum over).

As bad as the routing code *still* is I can't imagine how bad it must have been in those days.

If another sim blocked their path for even a moment, their routing routines would freak out and lock up solid. Here's a thought: go around blockages. Or how about not being so damned picky on collisions in the first place? Want to speed them up? You had to hover the cursor over them to do that. Have a burglar? No problem. Just have a sim standing near the front door. When the burglar even ever so slightly brushes up against another sim, he'll stand there looking confused for hours.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 August 18, 23:35:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims 1 was great for the time but it was a nightmare to play. The sims would spaz about every little thing. Privacy was a huge deal in the bathroom, but that wouldn't stop sims from barging in, blocking the sim onto the toilet for about five hours, then throwing a tantrum because they can't get to the toilet (which they still sometimes do anyway). Heaven forbid you don't let them sleep till their energy meter fills all the way (another thing to throw a tantrum over).
That's because it was a time of desolation, chaos, and uncertainty. A time before...More Awesome Than You. Can you imagine what would have been done about it if we had hacking tools and More Awesome Than You back then?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 August 19, 00:18:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Expansions were executed better in TS1 than they were in TS2 though, the only buggy ones were Vacation and Superstar.  Hot Date's dating system was superior to Nightlife and didn't have exploits.  In addition, these expansions added skins, and objects which people whined and bitched on how they were designed.  I believe the later ones added less than the earlier ones, but it was loads better than the BS they give us with all of the TS2 eps.

Yeah, there were issues with privacy and routing.  However, it pales in comparison to the annoyances in TS2.  At least the stupid phonecalls in TS1 sometimes gave you money.  Of course, the majority of these annoyances are fixed by hacks.
LynnMar
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 August 19, 12:06:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

this reminds me that I was visiting my 7 year old granddaughter and she was playing sims1,  she had the lady dressed in those old ugly default pajamas, and the woman never had any green bars, she had three dogs and a dragon.    Roll Eyes

I was trying to help her and get her some hacks,  or at least keep the woman from dying, but she said,  " I can do it myself grandma"      It was freakin me out, so I left the room.  lol

My daughter said that is the way she plays mom, she won't let me help her either.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 August 19, 15:15:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All my TS1 stuff is on a pc nobody uses anymore, I keep saying I am going to plug it in somewhere and copy the stuff to mine.  I have to admit that I really do miss Makin' Magic, I really loved that expansion and it's still my favourite, including all the TS2 ones. I liked the mini-adventures in it and I desperately miss the hole in the ground, not to mention Magic Town itself.  I liked Superstar too, even though I hated the thought of it when it came out.  Houseparty, however, was absolutely ghastly.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Nova
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 August 19, 17:42:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just loaded my Sims the other day and played with Bob and Betty.  Call me nutty, but I still love the game.  GreenSims forum has a section for Sims 1 and it is quite active.  Worth a look, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 2006 August 19, 19:44:48 by Nova » Logged
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 August 19, 18:07:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All I can really say about the difference between Sims1 and Sims2 is that the original game held my attention for maybe a month. Maybe two. I'd go back to it occasionally, but always get bored with the characters. I spent far more time building houses and even that got old quick. I've been playing Sims2 since April and my interest hasn't waned yet. I find it to be far more fun than the original.

croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 August 19, 19:28:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I MISS Bunny Wuffles and Persimmon Grove. Their stuff was amazing. Yes, Sims 1 was sometimes more CAD program than game, but I loved it. Does anyone else fondly remember the Brunel Theme...or Koromo's Royal Pavilion? Or the pheasants?

Even the Maxis items. I was making an Irish pub the other day, and thought longingly of the three tile, wall-to-ceiling stone fireplace. It would have been perfect!

No, I can't go back...I've tried too. But I sure would love to recreate the stuff (or have someone else do it, since despite repeated effort, I can't seem to get the hang of modding *cries*).

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
   Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 August 19, 20:20:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The novelty of TS2 runs thin, you eventually realize that it's just TS1 with a new coat of paint.  Sure, there's aging and wants but they don't even seem to be actually connected to the game.  A family sim will get a "Get Caught Cheating" want even if they don't have any external relationships.

TS2 should have been much different, they should have never ditched the "Life Score" and weather.  The graphics of the first E3 demo were much better also, it included Nightlife's "View other lots" feature.  I blame EA for turning the game into a "shiny", mediocre TS1.
JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 August 19, 20:49:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMG,  Shocked did they actually use the word "swell"??

Wow, did she actually use the nonsense term OMG? If she did use that silly netspeak-neo lingo to express her disdain about someone using the a REAL term of description like "swell" that would be very un-swell of her/him/it.

Jade, who is feeling very defiantly swell and dandy today, thank you very much!

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 August 20, 00:02:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Faizah was playing her TS2 game this week and mentioned something about a loveseat.  Suddenly I remembered the love-swing from TS1.  I miss that object.  I also miss the kids playground, the one they climbed all over (which would be a good way to train body for kids).

The aging computer I had at the time could barely run TS1 once Unleashed came out, with all previous EPs installed.  When Vacation came out I had a choice - I could run with Unleashed added or with Vacation added.  So I never bothered to buy SS or MM, and never played them.

Last year Faizah bought the game with all EPs included in the package.  It was the first time I'd ever seen SS or MM.  I played it for a few weeks, but I became frustrated that some of the TS2 things I'm now used to weren't available.

After that brief foray back into the world of TS1 I downloaded some lots for TS2 that duplicated the TS1 houses.  I no longer have those as they weren't very functional in TS2 but I still have the floors, walls, etc in my game.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 August 20, 21:21:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are a ton of places that still have SIMS1 stuff.. maybe not as Awesome as MATY.. but they are out there.. including my latest effort.. Gnohmon's objects.. I'm waiting on about 90 more objects but there are a few up on this page:

http://mistymage.com/gnohmongoodies/index.html

Some of those were made after Living It Up closed and thus are being seen (and hopefully used) for the first time by others other than Gnohmon ;-)

~misty

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
"It's like that hobbit/dragon thing. You cut off one head and.. it's an exercise in futility." -Andy, Dawn of the dead remake, 2004 = trolls on MATY
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 August 21, 14:46:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The novelty of TS2 runs thin, you eventually realize that it's just TS1 with a new coat of paint. 

See, I disagree with that statement. If it was the same game, I honestly wouldn't still be playing it. With a game like Sims1 or Sims2, people play for different reasons. My reasons for playing the original game wore thin real quick. My sims were ultimately boring as hell. In Sims2, I'm utterly addicted to having my sims live out their lives and have their progeny carry on the line. It's a small change, I guess, but ultimately it's big enough to keep the game completely different for me.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 August 21, 14:56:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hell, yeah! TS2 is so much more than "TS1 with a new coat of paint". I've been playing THE SAME SIMS AND THE SAME HOOD for 2 years, now. Aging off. I write stories, make movies, create websites...it's all how you make it. TS1 got old and tired very quickly. Wooden, expressionless paperdolls. I just couldn't get into it like I do TS2.
Torkle
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 August 21, 22:34:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're playing Sims 1 Making Magic, I've still got my fixes and hacks available here: http://home.woh.rr.com/torkle/

---
Torkle
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 August 22, 09:12:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why isn't there a TorklePE yet? Clearly, BlueSoup has failed us! You must not!

Mizz Rose Bud
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 August 22, 14:30:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There can´t be that much difference between those 2 games since both The Sims 1 and 2 is about life and living.

Well, when you boil it down that´s how it is in RL too ... all around the world people is eating, sleeping, working, woohooing  Tongue

Rose
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 August 22, 15:41:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Brynne, I am dying for a zombie music video to Ramalama (ala So you think you can dance) that'd be AWESOME. =p

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
chrystalia
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 August 22, 17:12:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still play both Sims games. Theres a couple of neighborhoods in Sims 1 that I spent too long finding the right skins and objects to make everything look the way I wanted to just abandon it. I'll have to take a look at the links here! Now I just have to resist the urge to play obsessively.  Wink

We have some friends visting this weekend and my mother is coming for a long visit in a few weeks. *Sigh* Must go clean.

"Do be a Do Bee, don't be a Don't Bee."
MyPrecious
Blathering Buffoon

"And we don't want any of that nonsense, do we?"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 August 25, 00:16:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I miss stuff from TS1, I miss persimmon grove for sure, and other little things just blonde stuff I'm sure. But last night I was thinking about the differences and one thing that drove me crazy in TS1 was the kids never grew up. Ever…my poor parents had to put up with them as kids for an eternity, and yes I know MM made them "grow up" but the parents then had no clue they where family...urrkkkk!!! Angry

Not only that every day was work/school day…what a drag. I used to fill the bank-balance dump the job and loaf, but the kids were locked into school forever, unless you had "Vacation/Holiday" . But that spawned townies that really should have been locked up.

My Sims1 game was hacked to an inch of its programming, real (well close) hands, beds, coffee, etc etc…

Bloody hell maybe it's not so different after all? Undecided

A definition of loafing is; when you can't be bothered to open the curtains so you click the Glastonbury festival web cam to check the weather…

O môr henion i dhû:
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: