More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 16, 06:21:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Translating whole game?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Translating whole game?  (Read 12673 times)
broo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Translating whole game?
« Reply #25 on: 2007 September 14, 10:10:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well most of lithuanians come to UK to work. Some of them come here to learn... Anyway. I think the weather here is OK.. Summers aren't too warm but they don't get winters with -30 degrees Celsius here.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 September 14, 11:52:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would certainly agree that most Lithuanians do come here to work or to learn, and also that our winters are warmer than yours - but there are always a few rotten apples in a barrel....

Zephyr Zodiac
broo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 September 14, 13:05:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't mind cold and snowy winters myself because winter's my favorite season Cheesy Snow on wintertime is probably the only thing I miss here (I'm in Scotland at the mo, if I didn't make it clear by now Grin) Sad That's why I love Sims 2 Seasons so much Cheesy
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 September 14, 14:01:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blame it on global warming!  We used to have proper winters here too.  Back in the early 19th century they even had fairs on the ice when the Thames froze over, with people ice-skating and hot-chestnut sellers etc.  Then London got warmer because of the industrial pollution, a growing population etc., then next the country as a whole, and then the whole darned world!  Just hope that in your lifetime you still get snow in Lithuania because when the day comes that the climate there is like the UK's now, those people still around will be looking for an unclaimed mountain top!

Zephyr Zodiac
alia
Asinine Airhead

Ms. Smarty Pants

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 September 17, 22:26:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never heard real estonian speaking so I don't know anything about Estonian language but Lithuanian and Latvian have some similarities.

Lithuanian and Latvian both stem from the Baltic branch of the Indo-European Language tree, so they are more closely related to each other than, for example, English and Latvian. Even though also English is a part of the Indo-European language family, it stems from the Germanic Branch of the family tree. Both languages have the same origins, but the similarities between Latvian and English can be seen only on the structural level of the languages, whereas Latvian and Lithuanian probably have similar grammatical forms and probably share similar vocabulary.

However, Estonian is not an Indo-European language, it belongs to the Finno-Ugric language tree, and is related to Finnish and Hungarian. As the origins of Lithuanian and Latvian when compared to Estonian are completely different, one can safely say that Estonian has very little in common with Lithuanian or Latvian.

If you cannot tell, I'm a linguist.  Roll Eyes
ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 2007 September 18, 11:55:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am Swedish, but I have been travelling a lot in the Baltic states for my work, and by the way they are all three absolutley lovely and interesting countries! The beaches are awesome. Baltic Sea may be cold at times, but when summer is good, you can find the best beaches in the Baltic region in these 3 countries. Lots of nice spa's!
I found it fascinating to learn that Lithuanian actually is the indo-european langugage that is the closest to sanskrit, the old Indian mother language of them all.

Good luck with the translation project which sounds like a huge one to me. BTW, I think I read somewhere that they created simlish partly from Estonian.. at least the sound of it Smiley
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 September 18, 21:32:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even though also English is a part of the Indo-European language family, it stems from the Germanic Branch of the family tree. Both languages have the same origins

I'd agree with you up to a point, but the addition of Norse, Old French plus the residual Celtic makes English far more complicated than German itself.  And the grammatical structure may have stemmed from a Germanic root, but it has become a great deal more flexible through incorporating elements from French. 

It is also interesting to note that a great number of simple, everyday words have a French root, and there are oddities such as the word chair, which stems from French (and chairs would, in medieval times, been owned only by wealthier people (who were not serfs etc.) while stool is, of course, related to the German Stuhl, and serfs etc. would probably have had those in their huts! (And serfs, of course, were the subjected Anglo-Saxons...)

Zephyr Zodiac
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 September 18, 22:15:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even though also English is a part of the Indo-European language family, it stems from the Germanic Branch of the family tree. Both languages have the same origins

I'd agree with you up to a point, but the addition of Norse, Old French plus the residual Celtic makes English far more complicated than German itself.  And the grammatical structure may have stemmed from a Germanic root, but it has become a great deal more flexible through incorporating elements from French. 

Is there anything you actually know about, rather than just bullshit about in a pseud-y way?

1) There is no "residual Celtic" in English. There are a handful of words, nothing else. Similarities in grammatical structures between Celtic languages and English exist entirely because they are both Indo-European languages, and not because of any absorption of "residual Celtic" (by which I presume you meant Welsh or Gaelic, or whatever specific Celtic language you might think of).

2) Old Norse is also a Germanic language, and was so linguistically similar to Anglo Saxon that the integration, or cross-pollination of the languages resulted in a simplification of English grammar, rather than the reverse. Because Norse and AS vocab are similar enough to be mutually intelligible, while the major differences are in the inflected endings, the hybridised language evened out the declensions in the endings. That is, the grammar was SIMPLIFIED.

3) Norman French added hugely to the vocabulary of the language, and again resulted in a simplification of grammar. Middle English becomes, like Modern English, strongly dependent on word order rather than grammatical endings to convey meaning. So, in actuality, the language became LESS FLEXIBLE in terms of form, but far more flexible in terms of vocabulary.

Examples, expanded explanations and general resources can be provided on request.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 18, 22:27:15 by rohina » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: