More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 16, 13:11:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Deleting Maxis-made Sims from the bin
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Deleting Maxis-made Sims from the bin  (Read 4174 times)
staroverthebay
Nitwitted Nuisance

¯\(º_o)/¯ lol wut?

View Profile WWW
Deleting Maxis-made Sims from the bin
« on: 2007 March 07, 15:20:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I just created a brand-new 'hood, and I want to delete the Maxis-premade sims (The Roselands and the Critturs) from my Sim bin so that I don't have to deal with them. I haven't created any sims in CAS yet, though I did load a University for the 'hood. Thus, I haven't played any lots yet. So no relationships in the hood yet, that i know of at least.

Can I just delete those two "families" from the Sim Bin in Neighborhood View? Is this okay to do or will it cause a BFBVFS and a borking of borkings?

¯\(º_o)/¯ I dunno lol
YOUNG AND STUPID.
Introverted, Sensing, Thinking and Perceiving. Conclusion: I IS TOILET PAPER!
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Deleting Maxis-made Sims from the bin
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 07, 15:22:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No relationships, no problem.
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 07, 15:42:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

so if the sims in the sim bin have never been touched, theyre ok to delete the easy way?
Excellent.

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

Moa
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 07, 16:11:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I deleted Chester Gieke unplayed from the bin, only to discover later that he had dead relatives. No problems yet, but I expect it probably added a straw to the neighborhood's back. (I've got a lot of trash files from bad practices back when I was naive and thought that just because you could transfer binned families from one neighborhood to another within the game, this was a safe practice.)

Cyd, Porthos, and the Critturs, on the other hand, appear to have no dead relatives.
Cons
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 08, 15:09:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder what happens if you delete them if you have them in another hood? What I'm saying is I played Veronaville and used everyone from the Bin....just because I was filling up houses. Then when I went back to Pleasantville, there they were again, so I deleted them (One hood is enough). So what happens then?
Why would you want these people in 3 or 4 different hoods anyway?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 08, 17:49:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why would you want these people in 3 or 4 different hoods anyway?

See this thread on how to keep them from showing up in every hood's sim bin: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,4306.0.html

In answer to your other question, the game just copies the characters to each hood from a template (see above thread).  Once they're in a hood, they're distinct and isolated from any other hood, as each hood maintains its own character files.  So Cyd in Veronaville has no relationship to the Cyd siting in the sim bin in Strangetown or Pleasantview.  They're each distinct characters.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 08, 18:44:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got a lot of trash files from bad practices back when I was naive and thought that just because you could transfer binned families from one neighborhood to another within the game, this was a safe practice.

I know this is bad practice because I've heard people talking about it on here, but I have no idea why it's bad or what problems it can cause. Can anyone tell me or point me in the direction of some info? I did it with one of my neighbourhoods back when the sims 2 first came out and now I have disappearing characters in that neighbourhood. Could this be linked?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 08, 19:59:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know this is bad practice because I've heard people talking about it on here, but I have no idea why it's bad or what problems it can cause. Can anyone tell me or point me in the direction of some info? I did it with one of my neighbourhoods back when the sims 2 first came out and now I have disappearing characters in that neighbourhood. Could this be linked?

It's bad because it leaves all kinds of dangling links to sims they knew in their original neighborhood that don't exist in the new neighborhood.  The game tries to compensate by doing strange things like creating empty character files for those now-unknown sims, or moving the link to a sim in the new hood who may not be appropriate (i.e., someone now has a dog as their grandparent). And babies take over existing character files so they have LTWs and wants and fears when they become toddlers that they shouldn't have.  It all leads to a BFBVFS.

(Search on BFBVFS for more threads on the the hazards of moving sims to a different hood.)

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Moa
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 09, 01:26:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FWIW, I made those mistakes about a year and a half ago, and the neighborhood is still going strong, with few minor glitches and no major glitches (or no major glitches not caused by things like external power failures). I imported one CAS grandmother from the Strangetown neighborhood, and moved some families out just after creating them and setting them down (I'd meant them for my cartoon Townsville neighborhood).

Even so, that created about 100 empty character files. I know that at one time Sims neighborhoods would start encountering problems around the 800-900 character mark. EA upped that limit with one of the expansion packs, but even so I figure there has to still be a limit. I'm bumping up toward the 1000 Sim mark now. It would be a very good thing to clear out those empty files, but the tutorials I've seen for doing so look complicated, and because the neighborhood is currently running smoothly, I've gone with the philosophy of don't fix what isn't broken (yet).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: