More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 16:25:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  moving house and getting a second graduation memory
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: moving house and getting a second graduation memory  (Read 6631 times)
dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
moving house and getting a second graduation memory
« on: 2006 September 06, 07:31:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whenever I have sims who have been to university move house, they get a second graduation memory (one level lower than their first and proper one).  Is this just a my game thing? Is there something to fix it other than deleting it in simPE?
This irritates me far more than it probably should...
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: moving house and getting a second graduation memory
« Reply #1 on: 2006 September 06, 07:37:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Always happens to me as well. Often even during the initial college move-out, if I graduated them with a party.
Irritatingly this memory propagates into the family tree, falsely satisfying the ‘graduate three kids from college’ LTW.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 September 06, 07:39:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Happens to me, too.  Avoid moving house?
dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 September 06, 07:44:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least I know it isn't just me then. 

The fact that everyone in the family remembers is partly why I can't be bothered using simPE to sort it out. 
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 September 06, 14:33:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is something I reported on quite a while back, it used to drive me totally crazy.  Even couples almost at elder were getting it and I was forever in SimPE sorting it out.  I eventually found the answer, at least for me.  Before you move the family, while they're still in the Family Bin, go play another house, doesn't matter which.  Teleport in the relevant ex-YA's and make them selectable.  Unpause the game for a brief second, save it, make them unselectable again and teleport them out.  Save that lot.  When you move the family now, there shouldn't be any extra memories.

Whatever causes it, it seems to only happen if they're not played in between moves.  I have no idea if it's still happening in my game since I changed pc's as none of my few ex-YA's in my latest neighbourhood have moved more than once yet, but this is how I sorted it out in my other neighbourhoods.  I did have a few it didn't happen to and I think maybe if they appear on a community lot or are visitors on someone else's lot in between moves that works as well, but I never got around to testing that part.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 September 06, 22:40:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried looking into this, and I think I have a tiny clue of why this might be happening, but I'm not completely sure. There are some strange bhavs in the YACAS backdrop, CAS backdrop, and neighborhood setup that do something with YA memories. I'm not sure if these are called whenever sims are moved around from the sim/YA bin.

Can you clarify a little more:

Whenever I have sims who have been to university move house, they get a second graduation memory (one level lower than their first and proper one). 

Is the 2nd false memory that they get always one level lower? OR is it always a regular one.

As far as I can tell, just from looking at the code and not in-game experience ('natch Wink) there are 4 graduation memories

Graduated (regular - w/o honors)
Graduated with Honors - Cum Laude
Graduated with Honors - Magna Cum Laude
Graduated with Honors - Summa Cum Laude

So... are you absolutely certain that, in all cases this has happened for you, it is always one level below?

i.e. Summa CL turns into Magna CL, Magna turns into just CL, and CL turns into regular - w/o honors?

OR do you find that, regardless of the memory type, it always becomes the regular one w/o honors?

I'm asking this because one of the BHAVs I found does something with ONLY this regular memory. It doesn't even check the sim's GPA.

So... if it would kind of make more sense if all of the grad memories are turning into regular ones w/o honors. Then I can definitively pinpoint the problem to this BHAV. But... if not, if you Do find that the pattern is always one level less than the real level, that throws a wrench into the situation, complicating the matters. I still think it's related to these bhavs, but I'd have to dig deeper to find out why the grade level is changing. I'm hoping this is not the case tho.

Also... a few more questiosn:

Does it happen the first time you move a recent graduate from the sim bin into a new household?

Does it happen if you combine the graduate to an existing household? a old lot that was previously occupied but has since been vacated and currently unoccupied? an entirely new, unoccupied lot that you just plopped down from the lot bin?

Does this happen each and everytime you move the graduate to a new house? i.e. if you moved him home A, then moved him out to a 2nd home B he will get a 2nd memory, and then you move him again to house C, and he gets a third memory? Or does this seem to be a one time kind of thing?

In the meantime, I slapped together a fix that might work. Basically, it does the same thing as Pescado's noaplusspam and nodeanspam hacks did. It is supposed to test if the sim already has the memory, and if so, it shouldn't try to add a duplicate. However, I only say that it might work because it is quite possible that these other bhavs that reference those graduation memories might circumvent the ones I changed and are adding the memories directly somehow.

Anyways, try this for now. And if it works, then I'll stick in the Peasantry as an official fix. If it doesn't then I'll go back to the drawing board and try those other bhavs and see if that fixes it. I don't have much of a testing environment right now. I have one graduate in my testng hood, none in my main/real game hood. I'll toy around a bit with the test it a bit to see if I can reproduce the error, and if the hack works in my test hood.

Ste

ETA: Fix has been moved to the Peasantry over here.
« Last Edit: 2006 September 07, 23:56:00 by syberspunk » Logged

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 September 07, 00:39:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my case at any rate the degree was usually one lower, but sometimes two lower.  It was never the same.  I can't remember what happened if they only "Graduated" (if anything, as in that neighbourhood it hardly ever happened).  The problem didn't occur for me if they were moved into an occupied lot via the neighbourhood screen, only when they were moved into an empty lot (either brand-new or previously-occupied) that started at 8.01 am on Monday.  Neither did it happen if I moved them in via the "Ask to Move In" method.  It was purely an empty lot phenomenon, at least in my case.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 September 07, 00:46:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does this only happen like immediately after you graduate them from Uni?

Does it ever happen to a sim who has been graduated from Uni and already played several days as an Adult in a non-Uni hood?

Right now, I am just trying to duplicate the problem. I do not have the hack/fix installed yet. I just want to be sure that I get the problem myself.

I just tried to move this Graduated Summa Cum Laude sim to 3 different lots in my test 'hood. He had already been living with Don Lothario. I probably play tested him there for at least a week. I don't recall exactly. I moved him to the Dreamer house and it was ok. I moved him to an empty lot, and he was still ok. No dupe graduation memories thus far. I moved him out again, and quit the game. I'm re-entering now to see if it matters whether the sim has to be in the sim bin first, when the game is freshly loaded up, to see if that makes any difference.

Maybe the next thing would be to send a sim to Uni and accelerate their graduation via the twojeffian college adjuster and see if it has to be a 'fresh' graduate.

For those of you who have experienced the problem, maybe you can test out the hack I posted above in some throwaway or testing hood you might have. Do the normal things you do that causes the problem, and see if the hack prevents it. Let me know if it works.

* syberspunk crosses fingers.

Ste

dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 September 07, 06:13:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my case the memory has always been one lower, but I've only observed it with Suma changing to Magna and Magna to a regular honours - none of my sims has graduated lower than that!

I am backing up my hood now and will test and report back.

ETA:
THANKS THIS IS GREAT!   Smiley

ahem, well this worked for me.  Sim Aurora had graduated in the normal way from university and got married to a townie.  I had upgraded the townie with the lot debugger, but of course he had no memory of graduating. 

I had them move house from the neighbourhood screen (as I have not had this problem when sims move house through marriage or being asked to move in, or when combining households).

After the move Aurora had no new grad memory, but her townie husband did have one, of graduating without honours (not a duplicate obviously).

I will go try with another family now. 
« Last Edit: 2006 September 07, 06:59:53 by dusty » Logged
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 September 07, 07:15:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I'm not sure I understand what everyone means by moving house from the neighborhood screen?

And does this only occur right after a sim graduates? Or it doesn't matter how long it has been since they've graduated?

Was the townie husband a YA that you asked to get married? I don't understand if getting the memory is a good thing or a bad thing. Is this a totally new thing that happened? Or is this normal, but the memory is correct now?

In my limited testing today, without the hack installed, I tried moving a graduated sim around. Either combining into existing houses, and moving him into new, empty lots from the sim bin. Is this what you mean by 'from the neighborhood screen'?

I guess I'd like to have a sort of step-by-step outline of what you do that results in producing the egregious memories.

Either way, I look forward to hearing about whether the hack consistently works and actually fixes the problem. Smiley

Ste

dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 September 07, 07:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For me it doesn't matter how long it is after a sim graduates, and yes by 'move from the neighbourhood screen' I do mean from the sim bin. 

I'm afraid I haven't tested lots of different scenarios.
What has happened for me is:
* Sim graduates and is in the sim bin.  If I move them to a new house from there, they are fine (just the one graduation memory).  If I combine them with another household they are also fine. 
* I play them in their house for at least one time and save, but it's often been many sessions.
* I choose move family from the neighbourhood screen and the family moves to the simbin. 
* I move them into an unoccupied lot.  The sim has a second graduation memory, that appears before the "moved in" memory. 

I have now just moved another family with 3 university graduates (2 adults and 1 elder who have been living in their house for several saves).  Success - none of them received a new graduation memory.  Cheesy

I hope I've made what I'm doing a bit clearer !  Thanks for looking at this.

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 September 07, 18:37:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks dusty. That was a perfectly clear explanation. Smiley And I'm really glad the hack helps so far. I will probably move this over into the Peasantry as an experimental fix so far. I just want to make sure that it continues to work for everyone and it isn't just an isolated case and it isn't just a flukey coincidence.

Also... a couple more questions:

1) Does this ever happen when you use the 'find own place' option on the computer or newspaper?

2) When you say you choose the move family from the neighborhood screen option, does it matter whether the sim is already living with other people or living by themselves? In other words, do you get the problem for both cases?

3) When moving the family to the sim bin, does it matter if you move them immediately to a new house? Or if you quit, save, and then the next time you re-enter, you move them? I'm just wondering if that matters.

I'll probably do a bit more testing myself, but I did move a graduated sim into a new home, and then I moved him out using the move family option on the neighborhood screen, and then into a new lot, but did not get a duplicate memory that time. *shrugs*

Ste

ETA: Fix has been moved to the Peasantry over here.
« Last Edit: 2006 September 07, 23:56:14 by syberspunk » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: