More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 23, 03:33:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Yanking/Organizing Custom Content?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Yanking/Organizing Custom Content?  (Read 8281 times)
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
Yanking/Organizing Custom Content?
« on: 2006 September 07, 04:03:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My Downloads folder has hit about 1200 items, and I'm a bit afraid since I don't know what some of these files are (the long strings of letters and numbers) and I know I have some broken stuff in game (like hair that doesn't exist, but still has an entry in the CAS). Since the folder is still pretty small, I'm thinking of taking some time this weekend and yanking it and then rebuilding it slower and more organized. Nothing goes in without me knowing exactly what it is and which sub folder it's in. That said, I've got some questions.

If I yank custom content that's in use (either as hair or furniture in a lot) does anything particularly bad happen in game? Or does the item just revert to some standard Maxis item? My bigges worry is hair since there's a ton of it that's not binned right, not labeled very well, and the most in use questionable thing. (This is the question I'm actually most concerned about.)

When downloading a house that has custom content, where does that content go? For example, I downloaded some of the Awesome Contest houses and got the toilet paper thingy. I wasn't expecting that and I'm not sure where it is to remove it (since I'm not awesome and don't really want it). I also downloaded a house that I thought was neat, but apparently has some custom windows that didn't install right.

Does anyone know of any good custom content bunk beds other than the Grand Trianon collection at MTS2? I like the idea of bunkbeds and don't mind the animations they used, but I don't care for the actual beds they created. They're too blocky and don't look realistic enough for everything else in the game.

I'm curious what other method people use to organize their downloads folder. I'm thinking I'm going to start with folders based on where it's from, then a folder for the collection or individual item.

Thanks for listening to my babbling.

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Yanking/Organizing Custom Content?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 September 07, 04:33:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I yank custom content that's in use (either as hair or furniture in a lot) does anything particularly bad happen in game? Or does the item just revert to some standard Maxis item? My bigges worry is hair since there's a ton of it that's not binned right, not labeled very well, and the most in use questionable thing.

They'll either be bald or have Maxis hair.  But I think bald.

When downloading a house that has custom content, where does that content go? For example, I downloaded some of the Awesome Contest houses and got the toilet paper thingy. I wasn't expecting that and I'm not sure where it is to remove it (since I'm not awesome and don't really want it). I also downloaded a house that I thought was neat, but apparently has some custom windows that didn't install right.

The content goes into your main Downloads folder.

Does anyone know of any good custom content bunk beds other than the Grand Trianon collection at MTS2? I like the idea of bunkbeds and don't mind the animations they used, but I don't care for the actual beds they created. They're too blocky and don't look realistic enough for everything else in the game.

http://www.yuppiesim.com/  They're pay, I think. *cough*

I'm curious what other method people use to organize their downloads folder. I'm thinking I'm going to start with folders based on where it's from, then a folder for the collection or individual item.

So many different ways to do it, and it really depends on whether you make collections or not.  I like to keep it fairly simple, and I am too lazy to get too anal with it, so I have my Downloads folder with CEP, then subfolders for:

Clothes
Floors
Genetics
    - Default Eyes
    - Default Alien Zombie Vampire
    - Default skins
    - Eyes
    - Eyebrows and facial hair
Hacks
    - <sorted by creator>
Hair Styles
    - sorted by style with the mesh and all colours in one folder and a pic
Meshes
    - all meshes for clothes and accessories so I only ever have one in the game
Object Recolours
Objects
    - sorted by sets to make it easier to make collections
Sims
    - for whole Sims I download
Sorting Hat
    - where I unzip everything to so I can sort it with Clean Installer to the rest of my Downloads folder and delete read-me's and whatnot (also to unzip files that are zipped inside another file, etc)
Stairs and Build Tools
Terrain Paints
Walls
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 September 07, 04:37:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Run Clean Installer and it'll tell you what kind of content a lot of those alphanumeric names are and let you mass-move them into subfolders.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 September 07, 10:51:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you colour bin a hair that's in use, and keep the family string intact, sims won't go bald.
If you delete the hair, or change the family string (useful for grouping different colours of the same hair together) they'll go bald.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 September 07, 18:32:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Run Clean Installer and it'll tell you what kind of content a lot of those alphanumeric names are and let you mass-move them into subfolders.

For most of them, it says they're clothes, but it doesn't display an image of what it is.

I really wish there was more of a correlation of what you see in-game and what you see in the various content browsers. Unless a creator is careful, the name of the file itself really doesn't have to mention the name of the object stored in data. That's frustrating.

If you colour bin a hair that's in use, and keep the family string intact, sims won't go bald.
If you delete the hair, or change the family string (useful for grouping different colours of the same hair together) they'll go bald.

I'm definitely going to be making sure the hair is properly color-binned this time. I'm tired of wading through pages and pages of custom hair to get the right one, and then on top of that dealing with a sim losing someone's attraction because she's not really blonde anymore.

http://www.yuppiesim.com/  They're pay, I think. *cough*

Thanks BlueSoup. I'm not sure I like those bunks any better than the Grand Trianon ones. Especially not to pay for. Smiley

aubreylaraine
Corpulent Cretin

not a morning person

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 September 07, 18:43:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

if you use content manager you get a file name and a picture to go with it.

opportunity may knock once, but temptation will bang on your door forever.
infj
those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 September 07, 19:59:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For most of them, it says they're clothes, but it doesn't display an image of what it is.

If they are clothes, then they most likely got installed with a Sims2Pack, and they tend to mangle file names.  If you wanted to be really picky and organized, you could load only those and then use debug mode to find the file name and rename them all manaully.

The WTF Editor by JFade will rename walls, terrans and floors to whatever they are called in the game, which then has the side effect of making floors that are part of a set filed next to each other in the catalogue - it's an awesome tool.
Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 September 07, 23:30:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The WTF Editor by JFade will rename walls, terrans and floors to whatever they are called in the game, which then has the side effect of making floors that are part of a set filed next to each other in the catalogue - it's an awesome tool.

Oh, where is that at?

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 September 08, 14:52:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

www.simwardrobe.com

All kinds of other neat stuff there too, including the Hack Conflict Detector.  It's a site worth poking around in. Smiley

Edit: My bad -- I got jfade and paladin confused.  Smiley
« Last Edit: 2006 September 08, 16:41:17 by jsalemi » Logged

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 September 08, 15:20:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, where is that at?

You can find that here.
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 September 08, 16:05:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use metal bunk beds from here:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=45191

It also comes with a single bed, for a 3rd child that needs a bed that matches the bunks.

I changed my hair around once. Most of the affected sims were bald and a few had a Maxis hairstyle. But in any case, everything was solved when telling them to change appearance in a mirror.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2006 September 08, 16:28:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

www.simwardrobe.com

All kinds of other neat stuff there too, including the Hack Conflict Detector.  It's a site worth poking around in. Smiley

I've had trouble with object portions of that site. All links get redirected to the objects page menu.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 September 08, 16:29:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

gethane, use IE for that site - it doesn't like Firefox if that's what you're using.
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2006 September 08, 16:31:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

aahh! thank you.

Gethane Sims
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 September 08, 16:42:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

gethane, use IE for that site - it doesn't like Firefox if that's what you're using.

Well, it may not like YOUR Firefox, but MY Firefox works fine with it. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 September 08, 17:21:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only remember it being a problem for a few others, and it was because they were using Firefox.
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 September 08, 19:20:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I was using Firefox and having problems. I went there with IE and the problems disappeared.

It was really weird. Because some/most of the site worked. But when I went to objects, and tried to click on some of the categories, it just kept redirecting back to the page I was already on.

Thanks for the tip Bluesoup.

Gethane Sims
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 September 09, 16:07:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use metal bunk beds from here:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=45191

It also comes with a single bed, for a 3rd child that needs a bed that matches the bunks.

How's the animations on them getting into the top bunk or making the bed on the top bunk?

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 September 09, 16:12:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the metal beds they do their animations for the top bunk at the level of the bottom one, then just float up when they are asleep Smiley

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 September 09, 17:09:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay. I'm going crazy. I can't find a site that I want to download some stuff from. I have some of their stuff in my disorganized old-downloads folder, but I want to get them organized for the new folder, so I need to re-find the site so I make sure I get everything I want and I have the name of it, yatta yatta yatta.

Anyway, the site had a huge number of recolored items. It had two sections of downloads, one for new meshes and items, and then one for recolors of existing maxis items. I was able to get two dozen bedding recolors from there. In addition to recolors for many of the chairs and other furniture. It was a nicely designed site without too many ads (I don't think).

Help? :}

Norahs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 September 09, 17:57:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Was it Piggis Sims? http://www.piggis-sims.net/
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile