More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 16, 10:13:44

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Dark computer screens in Nightlife
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Dark computer screens in Nightlife  (Read 8188 times)
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Dark computer screens in Nightlife
« on: 2006 February 07, 14:37:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley Does anyone know if there is a fix for the computer screens problem introduced by Nightlife please ?  Huh When placed indoors ( where most people would obviously place them  Tongue ) since installing Nightlife all computer screens are ( unrealistically ) dull and you can barely see whats on them whereas with University and before the computer screens were bright as a computer screen should be  Smiley
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Dark computer screens in Nightlife
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 07, 14:39:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL I haven't noticed this! I'll have to go play, just to have a look Roll Eyes Yeah-like I needed an excuse to play...

Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 07, 14:56:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley The screens also emit a ' glow ' when the computers are off so I'm guessing Maxis messed up with Nightlife and somehow the wires got crossed as far as when light should be emitted from the screens ( obviously when they are on not off  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin )
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 07, 15:31:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And these are Maxian computers as well as custom?  I hadn't noticed either, I rarely zoom in close enough to see.  Tongue
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 07, 15:40:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ALL computer's I have tried have this problem including all 3 Maxis ones and any custom ones . If th computer is placed outside the screen is bright as it should be , but the normal thing is obviously to place a computer indoors and that's when you can see how dull the screens are compared to how they were previously . The screens are bright enough if games are played on the computers because then they use a different video file . But when sims check their emails or chat on their computers etc the relevant screens are now extremely dull .
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 07, 15:44:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have a lighting mod?
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

A well-stocked toolkit can fix anything...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 07, 15:45:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think I've had this problem.  Rather, I've experienced that every time I go into a lot, the computer will make noises as though someone's playing SSX.

The BogSims Institute - We've been updating these days...
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 07, 15:49:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no lighting mods in my game at all and I first noticed this problem immediately after installing Nightlife months ago . I've been looking for a fix for it since then and hoped the official Nightlife patch would fix it , but obviously it didn't . I know it isn't a massive game problem and at the end of the day it's only the computer in the game , but after paying so much for the game and expansions I see nothing wrong in looking for fixes for EVERY glitch in the game no matter how trivial they are  Smiley
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 07, 15:56:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only asked about a lighting mod, because I dont have this issue (and do not have the lighting mod), but I know the lighting mod does effect things like this to some extent. Good luck.
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 07, 16:00:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley To be honest I've always steered clear of lighting mods , but I'd maybe use one if it fixed this  Smiley
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 07, 16:12:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found that a lighting mod made things so dark that I had to install dozens of lights, and that it lagged my game.  Worst of all, the house was dark even during the day, as no light came from the windows.  When I was building a house, it was a problem, since the inside was pitch black, as if I had no windows at all.  Finally I took it out.

There was a long discussion here about how the House of Falling Trees was changed by Maxis to be darker.  The thread explained how to change the value of a file in order to fix the problem.  I wasn't able to find the thread, but maybe it will shed some light on your problem ? Cheesy
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 07, 16:26:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley Thanks for the info . I'll have a look at that thread if I can find it , although the computer screen is the only lighting problem in my game to be honest . I'm guessing the problem file is the actual picture , movie or whatever that is played when sims email , chat etc rather than any of the actual computer objects themselves and that's why the problem appears on all the computers . I don't have a clue where that file might be though or how you could possibly edit it to fix this . The screens now though look like LCD's where the backlight has gone or is fading whereas they should ( and did so prior to Nightlife ) glow brightly like a real computer screen  Smiley
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 07, 21:32:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There was a long discussion here about how the House of Falling Trees was changed by Maxis to be darker.  The thread explained how to change the value of a file in order to fix the problem.  I wasn't able to find the thread, but maybe it will shed some light on your problem ? Cheesy

I think it was setLotLightingFile clear to restore the normal settings.  My HFT brightened up considerably after I did this.
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 07, 21:57:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed this too. And, I'd really like to know how to make the Falling Trees and other lots brighter again. It doesn't happen with every house, but there's a couple pre-NL houses I have which I can hardly stand to play anymore because whenever night hits, I can't see a damn thing! There are lights everywhere, the environment is fine, but they shed hardly any light. I'll have to look for that thread mentioned...
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 07, 23:39:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley I've already tried the set Lot lighting cheat ages ago and it did nothing to help the computer unfortunately  Sad
Winklesim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 07, 23:51:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i've noticed the computer screen problem as well and its always vaguely annoyed me.

Wake me up when I'm rich and famous!
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 23, 09:21:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley I've looked into this problem with 2 of my friends at my own forum and they say this is a bug , and in GunMod's Radiance Lighting 2.1 thread ( the guy's a bit of a game Lighting expert ) he says himself this is a bug caused by Maxis . Unfortunately ( for us , but good luck to him ) he has retired from the Sims community now so asking him about it is a no go . So I wondered if one of the hacking minds could also take a look at this bug please ?  Smiley
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 23, 15:58:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley For those that are wondering what I'm on about this is what the computer screen used to look like ( see pic in the zip file below )

[404'ed!]
Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 February 23, 16:00:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley And this is how it looks now , like someone turned the brightness fully down on the monitor ( see pic in zip )

[404'ed!]
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2006 February 23, 16:11:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just wanted to say I've noticed this as well and it's annoying but not a big gameplay issue for me. Still, I agree it should be fixed. Have you posted on the official Maxis bug report page?

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2006 February 23, 16:12:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, you can see a difference! That is quite bad really.

Bruce Banner
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 February 23, 16:17:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just wanted to say I've noticed this as well and it's annoying but not a big gameplay issue for me. Still, I agree it should be fixed. Have you posted on the official Maxis bug report page?

Huh I didn't even know they had an official bu report page to be honest  Undecided I posted in the BBS there about it in the hope someone from Maxis would pick up on it and just got drowned in an ocean of ' benes ' posts  Tongue
HeidiGrrrl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 March 01, 11:03:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ALL computer's I have tried have this problem including all 3 Maxis ones and any custom ones . If th computer is placed outside the screen is bright as it should be , but the normal thing is obviously to place a computer indoors and that's when you can see how dull the screens are compared to how they were previously . The screens are bright enough if games are played on the computers because then they use a different video file . But when sims check their emails or chat on their computers etc the relevant screens are now extremely dull .

Yeah, I've noticed that, too.  They look like they're off, but there's a bluish glow on the floor around them, and if you click on it, one of the pie menu options is 'turn off'.  If you zoom in really close, the monitor screen is a very dark brownish black.  I don't know what caused this, either.  I used to be able to tell if a computer was left on just by looking at the screen.  Now I have to look for the glow.
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 March 02, 03:16:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed this, but for a while had put it down to my new lcd monitor being moved higher (got a new desk).  The monitors look like they are off until you get up fairly close.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: