More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 15, 23:35:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  marriage and last names.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: marriage and last names.  (Read 30821 times)
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
Re: marriage and last names.
« Reply #50 on: 2005 August 08, 14:19:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think legally there's nothing in the UK to prevent that, and never has been - often a wealthy family with only a daughter to inherit would insist on the girl's husband taking the family name so the line could be seen to continue!  However, unless the husband has a really awful name (like Sidebottom or Pigg) then tradition is still on the husband's side!
In the UK it is possible for a woman to not take her husband's name on marriage - she can keep her own one, or make up a new one. The name that you sign the marriage register with becomes your legal name, so it is possible to add extra middle names or even change your first name if you want to. This is somewhat easier than doing a deed poll to change your name.

I can't remember whether the same legal standing applies to however the man signs the marriage register. I haven't paid much attention to it because I've been against legal marriage for the past n years as it's only been available to opposite-sex couples. Now that civil partnership is coming in, my objection to marriage has been removed, so I should find out about things like this Smiley.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2005 August 08, 14:30:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...In the UK it is possible for a woman to not take her husband's name on marriage - she can keep her own one, or make up a new one. The name that you sign the marriage register with becomes your legal name, so it is possible to add extra middle names or even change your first name if you want to. This is somewhat easier than doing a deed poll to change your name. ...

That's the way it works in most of the 50 states in the USA.  Massachusettes is an exception, where the wife is required to take the husband's name, but off hand I don't know of any other states that do this.  Nevertheless, marriages where they do something other than having the wife take the husband's last name remain anecdotal anomalies, not a social norm.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2005 August 08, 15:15:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nevertheless, marriages where they do something other than having the wife take the husband's last name remain anecdotal anomalies, not a social norm.

I don't think it's so small an amount it can only be considered 'anecdotal anomalies', especially depending on region. In Finland a couple would be considered extremely old-fashioned for the wife to take the husband's name. I also know it wasn't unusual for a couple to take a different option in the Northwestern US.

Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2005 August 08, 15:38:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not unusual where I live for the wife to keep her name and the children take the father's name. (Or whichever one they want, once they get old enough.) Of course, divorce usually throws an entirely new wrench into the works, and may be the reason for that practice.

That was what my mom wanted to do, but she changed her mind when Dad said it was okay with him. Changed her middle name to her maiden name instead.

Hyphenated names are demon spawn! They're annoying and difficult to spell, not to mention rather unsightly, and suggest that the couple in question is actually a corporation. Or a law office.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2005 August 08, 15:39:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's so often a case of the stronger personality wins the argument!  While a lot of professional women keep their single names for work, they still tend to be known as    "Mrs John Smith" for social occasions - and I personally think that is even more Victorian than just taking the same surname!  But a social invitation will tend to be addressed to Mrs and Mrs John Smith (it's quicker than typing or writing Mr John Skith and Mrs Mary Smith)!

Zephyr Zodiac
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2005 August 08, 15:43:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently, if you want to get married in Texas, you just have to introduce yourselves as being married three times.  Done.
http://www.dumblaws.com

Enjoy!

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2005 August 08, 15:45:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like the opposite of the Moslem divorce !

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2005 August 08, 15:49:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In Japan, IIRC, it's traditional to take the family name that has more prestige. Male/female is unimportant.
That's how I do it in my town.  Just ask Darren Capp!  Dreamer and Goth don't mean nuttin' in this town honey, go back to Pleasantville where someone cares cuz I don't!!  Grin
Of course, the obvious drawback inherent in the prestige system is "prestige digestion". If this is used as a traditional policy, sims will eventually all have the same last names, because the higher-prestige family digests the smaller ones, becoming ever more prestigious at the same time.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2005 August 08, 16:12:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Makes sense!

Zephyr Zodiac
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: 2005 August 09, 00:10:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently, if you want to get married in Texas, you just have to introduce yourselves as being married three times.  Done.

Enjoy!

I'm pretty sure that here in Idaho, if a couple spends the night together and errmm...."consumates"...you are considered married.  So in my case I'm married to several people.  Does that make me a polygamist?

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2005 August 09, 00:29:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Enjoy!

This is fiction.  As in many other states, to have a common-law marriage in Texas you have to live together as husband and wife for seven years and represent yourself in the community as a married couple.

After briefly perusing dumblaws.com, I'd guess that the vast majority of the material there are just silly things that people made up.

Greg
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2005 August 09, 06:22:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and there's always 'jumping the broomstick', which I fancy should I ever make a long term commitment again.

PS New Zealand passed a civil union law earlier this year, all the legal rights and obligations of marriage, including partner recognition after death and child custody rights, but not known as marriage.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2005 August 09, 14:05:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think laws like that are long overdue in many countries for people who don't believe in traditional marriage but still feel the need to commit themselves to their partner.

Oh, and in Scotland there's still Gretna Green!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: