More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 16, 15:09:01

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  But it seemed like such a good idea at the time!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: But it seemed like such a good idea at the time!  (Read 48907 times)
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: But it seemed like such a good idea at the time!
« Reply #50 on: 2006 February 01, 14:11:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm My Download folder is currently 1.88 Gigabytes in size and my neighborhood loads in about 90 seconds the game it self takes 2 minutes to load. as I am currently on a building spree and not playing my sims at all Shocked I have noticed actual lot loading time varies from 30 seconds for my smallest lot whish houses my city maintenance yard to 90 seconds for my largest lot which houses a movie theater,butcher shop,grocery store and a mini department store.
  My goal in my hood is to build a realistic city and I am progressing nicely  with my goal.I have an H&R Block currently under construction and just finished my sim Depot store and Harrods department store and a fine wine store. I also have a french bakery under costruction. a museum,police station,fire station and hospital have been placed.
 I have also put in a chinese restaurant,gas station,and resort type spa's I owe a great deal of thanks to retail sims,Sims connection and MTS2 for the Items needed for this project. in the planning stage is a bike shop,beauty salon,occult and crystal store,the IRS, a biker bar ,a bordello,a candy shop,music store , a farmers market , Hawai beach party bar and a carnival.I am unable to find 2 sims how ever that I desperately need to complete my city  A bag lady and a wino. I have the druggie who will be a townie I just need the wino and Bag lady for townies

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2006 February 01, 15:22:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dincer's stuff is gorgeous, but some of the poly counts are astronomical....
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2006 February 01, 15:42:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A bag lady and a wino. I have the druggie who will be a townie I just need the wino and Bag lady for townies

OH! I know where you can get that : http://www.sussissogoodsims2.com/Fxmakeup.html

Sussis is working on a Dickens theme, so she has all sort of (what I assume is) costume makeup.  She has a wino (veins on the face and a reddened nose), dark shadows under the eyes, sores, scars ect.

Also there is a bunch of special characters at MTS2, hooker, drug addict, ect.  I can't remember the creator but I could track it down.  Did you see his stuff?
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2006 February 01, 16:11:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I f you have the link I would appreciate it as my search has turned up nothing

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: 2006 February 01, 17:21:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's hilarious how threads about slow loading due to too much crap usually leads to exchanging links to sites that have crap.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2006 February 01, 17:25:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try these guys. They should be right up your alley, so to speak. Wink

Baglady

Pete the Perv
« Last Edit: 2006 February 01, 17:44:55 by Brynne » Logged
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2006 February 01, 19:46:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try these guys. They should be right up your alley, so to speak. Wink

Baglady

Pete the Perv

[/quote Thanks Brynne, Those two will fit nicely with the wino and drugged out sim that are currently townies.I ended up creating the wino my self and he is a three bagger for sure thanks to the link from Angelyne Grin

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2006 February 01, 20:51:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No that's not it, although those are good.  There was someone else who produced a whole series of ho's.  He also created a trashed dorm house and a trashed trailer.  Just can't remember who he is

EDIT ok ok got it got it  :  http://www.modthesims2.com/member.php?u=8833

And Bangelnuts, why don't you post a pic.  Inquiring minds want to know

It's hilarious how threads about slow loading due to too much crap usually leads to exchanging links to sites that have crap.

Haha that's so true.  But then we wouldn't make posts about slow loading if we weren't all download ho's would we ? Smiley

I said it before and I'll say it again.  We need an intervention!
« Last Edit: 2006 February 01, 21:00:43 by angelyne » Logged
JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: 2006 February 01, 21:06:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is the funniest thing I have read in ages. Snorted milk outta my nose.

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2006 February 01, 21:53:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And Bangelnuts, why don't you post a pic.  Inquiring minds want to know

Of My hideous wino? orr my town?

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2006 February 01, 22:00:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Both really, I'm interested
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2006 February 01, 22:40:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just got to this thread and I must be a target for balls of fire. I have a 7.89 GB Downloads folder, and the game takes half an hour to load, it's much faster since I added RAM, before it was an hour. So I get pretty frustrated if something goes wrong and crashes mid-game Cheesy Most of the time I do housework or make dinner when I'm waiting for the danged thing to load. Lot-loading is also faster than before, about 2minutes and I don't hog up my community lots with lots of objects, so the slowing is down to a more tolerable state during gameplay downtown Smiley

I think the major slowing down is from the 30,000 recolors I've downloaded since day 1 of bodyshop (before the game came out). Or the 5000 new mesh items. I'm going to sort it all out while I'm waiting for Business EP to come to my country, and a very good thing, seeing I'll probably have to wait for Pescado's hacks to be updated for the EP, which I wouldn't play the game at all without. So the cleaning up will keep me sane as my anticipation rises for the game, and will make more space for new EP-related downloads Cheesy

I'm hopeless.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: 2006 February 02, 03:54:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's the link directly to Dincer's site (http://moonsims.asi.org/dh-sims-site/sims2index.html).  Oh yes--he's been my absolute favorite since early in my TS1 days.  And yep, some of his stuff is high-poly or whatever, but not all of it is.  Not only does he make absolutely the most gorgeous period furnishings, but he does awesome modern work too.  Since I don't download for TS2 like I did for TS1 it took me until just a few months ago to even figure out he was doing TS2 stuff.  He also makes a quality of wall- and floor-coverings that I've never been able to find anywhere else.  He may not have tons of them, but with his stuff you don't need quantity so much.  I'll probably end up using his stuff mainly in smaller houses that can handle the extra load.  I tend to decorate my more rambling houses with more modern-style furnishings.

Basically, I figured when I first started TS2 it would take a while for objects to be able to be made and when the first textures were downloaded I figured that as time went on my earlier textures would ultimately be replaced by better stuff later on.

Jorenne I totally understand what you're saying, and I know there's no way a lot of people can use the same rules I use for downloads.  Everyone has their own playing style.  Frankly I admire your tenacity to be able to play a neighborhood like that.  If I have more than about a half-dozen families in play I'm going absolutely nuts!

flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2006 February 02, 08:43:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

HALF AN HOUR!!!!    You must have the patience of a saint, I would rather talk to my mother in law than wait that long.

Still love ya Eaglezero.  I went to Dincers last night and had a great time.  He rocks. Grin

MORE PLEASE

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2006 February 02, 09:20:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blubug, I've noticed new meshes seem to cause a much bigger hit to the loading time than recolours.

flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2006 February 02, 12:34:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So much for my gung-ho- duzn't matta attitude.  My game died in the arse tonight after I installed *DRUMROLL* YES; another download.  So as I'm not a computer wiz, I figured it would be best to uninstall and reinstall, but I forgot about the hundreds of D/L's.  lThis is gunna take soooooo long.   Cry

blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2006 February 02, 16:32:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blubug, I've noticed new meshes seem to cause a much bigger hit to the loading time than recolours.

Yes, I know but I check each and every one in simpe as I download for poly counts and check file sizes, so I would be in a much worse state if I didn't. THAT's why I don't have any of Dincer's stuff, although I'd love to. For one high poly Dincer-made  bed (in game) I can probably put in a house 10 low poly beds in equal quality due to low poly meshing and high quality texturing. but I don't put in 10 beds, so my game runs faster.

Call me crazy, but I'm happy with this. A few years back my computer was very outdated and just playing The sims 1 with all EP's and a gazillion downloads- the game loaded in 4 hours! I started it before I went to bed then played in the mornings until it crashed! I'm happy to say my sense of control has developed greatly in the downloading area in the past 3 years. And any game loading time under 10 minutes amazes me! Cheesy
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2006 February 02, 16:42:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So much for my gung-ho- duzn't matta attitude.  My game died in the arse tonight after I installed *DRUMROLL* YES; another download.  So as I'm not a computer wiz, I figured it would be best to uninstall and reinstall, but I forgot about the hundreds of D/L's.  lThis is gunna take soooooo long.   Cry

Why are you reinstalling the game if you suspect the problem is with a download?  There are really very few instances where reinstalling the game is necessary.  The game files themselves do not really change very much with game play, as all the changes are concentrated in the data files (in your document folder)

Oh thank you for that dincers link.  His stuff is pretty darn neat.  And i was having trouble finding victorian furniture

Edit :  Ouch, he's not stingy with those vertices is he.  almost 9000 for a simple side table?
« Last Edit: 2006 February 02, 17:07:05 by angelyne » Logged
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2006 February 02, 18:30:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really loved dincer's  lightwood set for sims 1, and downloaded it right after I found it for sims 2.  that was right about the time that Motoki was starting the polygon awareness.  I had noticed the slowdown and everything and started checking.  It all had to go.... much faster now, and I'm more careful now about meshes.
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2006 February 02, 18:47:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

However, if it's on Dincer Hepguler's site, go on a downloading rampage because it'll both look and function absolutely beautifully!

Who is that, and what is their site?  (Man, I'm hopeless, but I don't care  Tongue)

Dude, you don't kno who Dincer Hepguler is? He's been around like foreeeeeeeeeever. He made a bunch of objects for sims1, and most of his sims2 objects are remakes of those (which is totally fine, as they were pretty nifty). His site is here. I think he also has some stuff on TSR that's not the same as what's at his site, but I'm not entirely sure.

ETA: found it: http://www.thesimsresource.com/profiles/view.php?mid=380800

Ugh! I'm really trying to clear out my folder and now I see more stuff that I MUST have.

(But, thanks, the stuff does look great.)
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2006 February 02, 21:36:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really loved dincer's  lightwood set for sims 1, and downloaded it right after I found it for sims 2.  that was right about the time that Motoki was starting the polygon awareness.  I had noticed the slowdown and everything and started checking.  It all had to go.... much faster now, and I'm more careful now about meshes.

Same here, but the stuff is soooo gorgeous. I've actually been thinking about starting a new hood just so I can use some of his stuff without killing my game.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2006 February 02, 22:29:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess it's just me, but his stuff really didn't float my boat that much.  I saw maybe only one thing I liked, and even then not enough to download it.

I might have liked it more with TS1, not so much now.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2006 February 02, 22:46:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Custom mesh objects don't really appeal to me too much.  Maybe it's because I really didn't find any of them that are low-poly that look that good or the fact that they still use the same animations.  I wasn't too crazy about recolors either, maybe I've just become more accepting of Maxis stuff than I was in TS1.

A 8GB download folder?  Wow, I wonder what the limit is on the size of the downloads folder.  I believe in TS1 you couldn't get even half that size in the entire Sims folder.
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2006 February 02, 22:48:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess it's just me, but his stuff really didn't float my boat that much.  I saw maybe only one thing I liked, and even then not enough to download it.

I spend my vacations visiting old cemetaries and victorian mansions. I am hooked on "old and elaborate" , so the DH stuff  really appeals to me (the cabinets full of THINGS make me drool). My kids think I'm nuts Cheesy
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2006 February 02, 23:15:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why are you reinstalling the game if you suspect the problem is with a download?  There are really very few instances where reinstalling the game is necessary.  The game files themselves do not really change very much with game play, as all the changes are concentrated in the data files (in your document folder)
furniture

As a bonafide virgin when it comes to all technical aspects of Sims2 , I figured it would be easier to reinstall.  No great loss.  The game was crashing upon loading and even when I did delete the download that I thought was suss, it still wouldn't load.  So out with the old and in with the new.  At least I can be a bit more choosy with the customs I reinstall. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: