More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 15, 19:55:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Lambda Moo
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Lambda Moo  (Read 2893 times)
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
Lambda Moo
« on: 2006 January 23, 03:42:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.lambdamoo.info/#COM

This thing is really, really weird. It's sort of like a chatroom, only it's set in this huge, surreal, weird, and sprawling house-type thing. I figure there are probably a few people here who might enjoy tooling around in it for a bit, since it's fun to explore, and there are about three zillion different commands you can use, and you can make more with a bit of command line fiddling.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Lambda Moo
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 23, 05:48:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh, no thank you. That's exactly the kind of place I avoid. We make fun of places like that.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 23, 06:18:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I played around with some MUDs a long time ago.  I eventually got tired of them.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 23, 09:26:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wrote a lambdamoo game - and it was just like The Sims inasmuch as it was based on real life - you had to earn money and pay taxes, and wait for trains to take you places that were further away (I wrote in loads of dummy locations to get lost in if you tried to cheat and walk)  But if you could find your way to the commercial zone you could buy a car and go anywhere much quicker.

The new player started off in the mental ward and had to work out how to escape.  The first place he came to after finding the window and scrambling down the slope was the village pub - that's where most of us hung out anyway.   It had working slot machines, a variety of drinks you could order, and I actually wrote in getting drunk so your chat output was slurred and you ended up going the opposite way to the way you typed in etc.

Players woke up in the mental ward each time they reconnected until they had worked out how to buy themselves a house.  It was possible to earn the rights to build your own homes and puzzles, but that was written into the game and relied on you eating at intervals to keep up the strength to build.

People found it all really tedious and hard work and were begging for some fantasy and just plain old fashioned magic spells.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 26, 18:00:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inge, that sounds nifty.

And, after further experimentation with LambdaMOO, I have but one thing to say:

Why do nifty concepts always have to get hijacked by idiots?

Sigh . . .
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: