More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 16, 09:14:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Will you morons just stay out of her coffin??
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Will you morons just stay out of her coffin??  (Read 21441 times)
Carmelita
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Will you morons just stay out of her coffin??
« on: 2005 November 26, 01:33:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, I'm liking Nightlife and I'm enjoying the whole vampire thing, but one thing that is really irritating me is that when I have a vampire in the house I spend the whole night babysitting her coffin to keep stupid non-vamp Sims from stealing it.  If I relax my vigilance for a moment I end up having to chase some moron out of the coffin.  As it is I spend the whole night switching between my living Sims to constantly X out that "sleep in coffin" icon that just keeps popping up.

Why on Earth would any living Sim want to sleep in a coffin?  Especially since they all have perfectly nice beds which were much more expensive and come with higher comfort and energy ratings?  I can't imagine what the attraction is.  Then again, I'm sane and we all know that Sims are not.

Anybody else as irritated by this coffin obsession as I am?  Any suggestions for what to do about it?  I don't want to have to give up on having vampires.

For someone who has nothing to complain about,
I'm pretty good at it.
VJay
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Will you morons just stay out of her coffin??
« Reply #1 on: 2005 November 26, 01:39:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is indeed very annoying. Sometimes their energy bar still has enough energy to last a few hours and they want to go to sleep in the coffin anyway. I hope a modder out there will do something to prevent this stupid thing to happen, very soon. Thinking of it, I'm surprised nobody hasn't done something about it yet.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 26, 01:41:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm...I am not sure, not having played with the vamps too much yet.  Couldn't you place it behind a "Myne" door and then have your vamp claim it?
dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 26, 01:42:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could you put up a Myne door (like in dorms) and lock it? Or I believe that Inge's site (simlogical) has lockable doors. 
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 26, 01:44:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could you put up a Myne door (like in dorms) and lock it?

Jinx. Wink
Carmelita
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 November 26, 01:46:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I could give that a shot.  I hadn't tried it so far because my vamp is sharing a room with somebody else.  I can shift some of these people around, though...

For someone who has nothing to complain about,
I'm pretty good at it.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 November 26, 01:54:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am going to officially state that I am not making any such thing. There are multiple solutions for this, including Myne doors, Deny Autonomous on the new NL-updated APO, Ingelogical doors, Free Will, etc..

I personally recommend denying autonomous access to bedrooms in combination with the Sleep Clock. Now in testing for vampire support.

As this is a purely autonomy-related issue that does not affect visitors, this is not worth the maintenance overhead to maintain for the rest of TS2.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 November 26, 01:55:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Happens in my game, too.  I deliberately left the dorm door of one of my YA's open in the hope that some dormies would go and take a peek in her coffin, but all that happened was that another of my YA's kept constantly trying to sleep in the coffin.  None of the others bothered, just him - I put it down to him being Knowledge and having the want to become a vamp.

I think maybe some coding is wrong somewhere, because they're supposed to look into the coffins, not climb into them.  Looking into them has never happened in my game.  That's why I don't want to lock the doors, or the looking into coffins will never happen and I want to see it - AND it could kill unwanted people like dormies.  So, we DO need something for this!

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 November 26, 01:57:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think maybe some coding is wrong somewhere, because they're supposed to look into the coffins, not climb into them.  Looking into them has never happened in my game.  That's why I don't want to lock the doors, or the looking into coffins will never happen and I want to see it - AND it could kill unwanted people like dormies.  So, we DO need something for this!
I don't think sims will autonomously look into coffins much at all, due to the fact that it probably doesn't advertise to any important motive. You could always dare someone to do it, and keep the place locked until then.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 November 26, 02:41:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used a Myne door, which worked fine. No clue why the dang coffin is so attractive - even to the point of everyone in the house trekking all the way down to the basement of the House of Fallen Trees (or whatever it is) if I didn't catch them fast enough... I just got rid of those coffins and moved the vampires upstairs as well - atmosphere is nice and all, but...

My other problem was *keeping* the actual vampires in the blamed coffin. They'll jump up at any excuse, and it's downright annoying. Personally, I think they should act like real vampires - head for their coffins top of the list at the first hint of daylight and basically fall down dead in them, incapable of rising before the sun goes down unless they're masters or something. Getting up because the phone rang is, imo, breaking the genre :p

Unsouper
GloamingMerle
Corpulent Cretin

Just say "NO" to Womrats!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2005 November 26, 03:44:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, this is an easy one to fix... Inge's (simlogical.com) global "bed reserving patch".. Just remember to RTFM unlike my mom did at first, and it'll nip that common irritant in the butt. As for vamps waking up too easily, try here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=95516

Apparently the very same thing irritated Monique. I haven't tried it. I have one of her hacks in my game, and I'm testing it out before I venture any further into her mod web.

EDIT: She also has a nifty thing to call them to bed at daybreak.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=95517

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 November 26, 03:54:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My other problem was *keeping* the actual vampires in the blamed coffin. They'll jump up at any excuse, and it's downright annoying. Personally, I think they should act like real vampires - head for their coffins top of the list at the first hint of daylight and basically fall down dead in them, incapable of rising before the sun goes down unless they're masters or something. Getting up because the phone rang is, imo, breaking the genre :p
You may want to try the Sleep Clock, it will suppress overly-easy wakefulness until the designated waking hour. The bedtime functionality is currently inoperable for vampires, but the next version will properly support it. Oh, yeah, and it 'll send them to their coffins right before daylight and keep them there. Or, if you want, send them there and keep them there indefinitely, so they can sleep for eons before awakening.

skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 November 26, 04:02:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Odd..I have yet to encounter any obsessive behavior concerning the coffin beds.    I agree that sticking it behind a MYNE door or using any of the other reservable bed or door  hacks would solve the problem. 
astraled
Asinine Airhead

Minty Fresh!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 November 26, 04:14:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lockable doors and reservable bed patch don't help.  All it does is make the nonvamp sim stand outside the door thinking about the coffin.  Drives me batty, as I like to leave their autonomy on and yet I'd also like them not to act like twerps.

GloamingMerle
Corpulent Cretin

Just say "NO" to Womrats!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2005 November 26, 04:21:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Locked doors: No, no, no.

Bed Patch: Yes... You have to be sure you assign a bed for every sim living in the household, or they'll just pick their own aimlessly, and not with any real consistency... Which just screws up everyone else because their spot is taken. Mayhem ensues.

If you use the latter mod correctly, you will never have any issues with sims sleeping in the wrong bed/coffin ever again. I promise, cross-my-heart.  Tongue

astraled
Asinine Airhead

Minty Fresh!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 November 26, 04:34:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm talking about Inge's Global Bed Reserving Patch. It does not affect coffins in my game. It never has. If it is meant to, I must have a hack conflict. I don't use the reservable beds because of my many custom meshes. Beds are my favorite objects and I'd rather have twerpy sims than give up my beds.

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 November 26, 04:41:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You may want to try the Sleep Clock, it will suppress overly-easy wakefulness until the designated waking hour. The bedtime functionality is currently inoperable for vampires, but the next version will properly support it. Oh, yeah, and it 'll send them to their coffins right before daylight and keep them there. Or, if you want, send them there and keep them there indefinitely, so they can sleep for eons before awakening.

oooh, that's sounding great. I'm looking forward to it Smiley Maybe I'll put the coffins back in the basement and let them sleep through several generations and wake up and infect their descendants or something. Could be a fun storyline.

(No offense to Monique. I use and like her computer, but I trust JMs hacks more, especially for fixing the annoyances.)

PS - Mine were willing enough to go sleep in their own beds if the Myne door is in the way (ugly, but I just used the regular Maxis one). I probably did queue it up for them (I micromanage) but they didn't spend much time whining about it.

Unsouper
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 November 26, 07:23:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bed Patch: Yes... You have to be sure you assign a bed for every sim living in the household, or they'll just pick their own aimlessly, and not with any real consistency... Which just screws up everyone else because their spot is taken. Mayhem ensues.

If you use the latter mod correctly, you will never have any issues with sims sleeping in the wrong bed/coffin ever again. I promise, cross-my-heart.  Tongue
This never worked for me either. My sims all have beds assigned and always have long before any vampires were around, but as soon as a coffin showed up, it was crazy go nuts time.

The coffins don't get assigned I guess. Sort of like how if you have a regular bed or side of a bed that's not assigned to anyone, sometimes sims who are already assigned some other bed will go to it anyway.
« Last Edit: 2005 November 26, 07:33:37 by oyyo » Logged
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2005 November 26, 08:27:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll take a look at why coffins are not affected.  Maybe they have their own semiglobal file.

Later:  No they actually have their own tests on the coffin itself, it does't use the bed semi globals.   I can either make a reservable coffin as a buyable separate object, or I can make a patch to the existing one (which at least means you will be able to use all the recolours people make).   But if people have already started cloning the coffins to make new meshes for them, then my patch won't work on those of course.

If you have Uni or Nightlife, the Sims should not holler outside a locked door, because I have updated most of my lockable doors and my security patch to take advantage of the route blocking flag which came in with Uni.  This stops sims trying to choose an object the other side of a locked door - although I expect JM's sleep clock overrides that as it forces the sims to try and go to a bed that the sim might not have chosen by himself.   Much as Pescado and I mutually respect one another, you can expect our hacks to be largely incompatible because of our opposite approaches.

Anyway, anyone having trouble with Sims complaining about locked doors check back at simlogical for updates - also everyone needs a no-route-blocked-tantrums patch or similar.  I have one at my site, and I think other people have made alternatives.
« Last Edit: 2005 November 26, 08:55:47 by Inge » Logged

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 November 26, 11:34:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't imagine why you would intentionally install and assign the sleep clock to a bed that you know the sim can't reach, and the clock will only choose beds in the same room with it. If you're intentionally installing these things behind locked doors that sims can't get to, well, you're an idiot!

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2005 November 26, 11:43:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I understand what you're saying, but I have seen so many people reporting problems using the reservable patches or beds and the sleep clock that they can't all be imagining it.   Maybe I should try it myself some time - I haven't even got my own hacks in the game at the moment because of wanting to test the prison without interference, lol.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 November 26, 13:52:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I'd prefer a reservable one myself, but anything to fix this would help. The lockable door solution just isn't enough for me. I'm not sure why they even let humans use it in the first place. Are they even supposed to? I've heard people say they tried and their humans can't use it, so it is just that they use it autonomously? If so, it's probably a bug. Tongue

I don't know what they did to it either but they all find it VERY attractive, even moreso than the expensive University double bed which is rated higher.  Roll Eyes

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 November 26, 17:36:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use custom beds, so the reservable bed/sleep clock would not work for me (at least that's the way I've read it in the RTFM's). I also have the coffins in dungeon-like set ups, so the Myne-door would look very funky (one of the dungeon entrances is the wrought iron black gate in one instance. But if that's what I have to use, then I will use it. I am sooo tired of every pixel person in the household trudging to the coffins, out of the house and into the dungeons/graveyards/mausoleums, even with the higher rated beds available at much closer range.

The authorized personell thing did all kinds of weird crap in my game, but that was way back when (especially since that particular neighborhood went to hell in a handbasket anyway shortly thereafter).  It was so long ago that I don't even remember the weird stuff that was happening after getting the mod, that says something right there. I will give that one another go-around then, and see if it works - anything but the fugly Myne door -

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 November 26, 17:45:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inge's doors are nicer. You might find one that takes a key that doesn't look bad for your dungeons (tho I don't remember any iron gates - does she have these all working with Numenor's? There's some recolors of those that would work for that.) I woulda used hers myself but I didn't have them yet :) and I still don't have quite all of them and don't remember how it all works - blame it on age, I gotta have something.

Unsouper
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2005 November 26, 17:48:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But why not use the newer Security system?  Then you can use any door you want.  It's a bit like authorised personnel but different.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: