More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 00:04:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Apartment furnishings invisible
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Apartment furnishings invisible  (Read 10609 times)
natalieae
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Apartment furnishings invisible
« on: 2009 January 31, 21:54:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I swear, I'm ready to burninate this entire apartment building. It is a comedy of errors. The most recent one being: I moved all families out in order to make some major construction changes. Changed lot to residential. Made changes, changed lot back to apartment and saved. Started moving in sims. One entire apartment has entirely invisible furnishings. I'm talking, 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, and a living room/office. ARG! All other apartments and common areas are fine. Help?

Current Mods:
InSIMinator
InTEENimator
Toddler stairs mod
SeeThem2
Skaarjy_Scooby-Crammy mod
A slew of Medieval vehicles for NPC, Carpool, and PC use
Medieval Townie Names
marriage-lastnamedialogue-AL
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Apartment furnishings invisible
« Reply #1 on: 2009 January 31, 22:19:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't change an apartment back to residential.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
natalieae
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 January 31, 22:32:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So is it completely borked now? Or fixable?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 January 31, 22:44:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't know. In your case, I'd call it a wash. In my case, I'd probably be able to salvage some of it with my voodoo skills, but the nature of voodoo is such that it is not a documentable procedure, you just have to know how to mash buttons.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 January 31, 23:20:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, this sounds strangely like what happened to me recently.  Well, the problems and errors were different, but what I mean is that in both cases we had changed an apt to residential and back to apt.  Apparently, my apt is a wash too.   Undecided

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 January 31, 23:25:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One simply does not just Tankcat into Mordor.

natalieae
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 January 31, 23:43:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I could just simply find a nice castle-shaped apartment building, this wouldn't be a problem  Embarrassed
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 January 31, 23:56:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't do apt -> res -> apt. Make up your mind.

Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 February 01, 00:21:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason we do it, or at least the reason I do it, is because we suck at building apartments I guess.   Tongue  Goes something like this:

Build apt.  Move in sims.  Uh-oh, that's not working like I wanted.  Move sims out.  Fix problem (and break lot in process).  Move sims back in.  Ooops.  Lot is now broken and unplayable.  Crap.

Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2009 February 01, 01:28:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Solution: Build it as residential, then lot-bin that version. Keep that around, even if you doubt you'll need it. Pull it out of the bin to make it an apartment lot, whenever you need an apartment lot.

You won't lose the alterable version, and you'll still be able to have apartment versions.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 February 01, 01:59:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or, you know, you could just make the alterations to the lot WITHOUT CHANGING IT BACK TO RESIDENTIAL. Novel concept, I know.

Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2009 February 01, 02:04:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can you make structural changes to an (uninhabited) apartment lot? I've never tried.

natalieae
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 February 01, 03:23:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you can with the "boolprop aptsublotspecifictoolsdisabled false" cheat, but THAT certainly got me into some trouble on this same lot, which was the first error in this tragic comedy (full details on the MTS2 board). Mr. Pescado advised me of the apthack there, which is what led me here, since he clearly knew more about that error then the people attempting to help me there.

Lot-binning is a good idea. One which I wish I had thought of last week.
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 February 01, 04:14:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lot-binning is a good idea. One which I wish I had thought of last week.
Yeah.  Me too.   Undecided

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 February 01, 04:21:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lotbinning is "not a great idea". It tends to lead to lot instance inflation. While at this stage in the game, it's not going to cause anything to EXPLODE, it's still not a GOOD thing. On occasion, there remains dangling detritus left behind, so this approach is not considered the best plan.

Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2009 February 01, 05:37:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would building in a separate hood avoid that, or is it the sort of thing that follows a lot around? (I already do have a hood I use just for building.)

Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 February 01, 06:47:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've tried the don't change it back to residential version. I lost both the hoods that I did it in. I lost a three more hoods doing the change it to residential method and now I always lot bin the damned apartment before I move people in. They're the only hoods that I've ever lost. They were just no longer visible from the hood selection screen and even though I searched down some methods for trying to recover them. I haven't lost anymore hoods since.

I always delete the copy of the lot from the lot bin after I have it placed - does that make a difference?

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Ailias
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 February 01, 07:04:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You should not turn it back to res after moving in the sims, better do all changes before that.
Otherwise use the boolProp aptSubLotSpecificToolsDisabled false cheat and then do not forget to shut it with
boolProp aptBaseSpecificToolsDisabled true
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 February 01, 08:53:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm. I think I'm going to take it right back down to basics. I will  make the lots in another hood. I will keep a residential version of them prior to them ever being an apartment in that hood. I will use a copy to convert to an apartment and if I find that something needs to be changed I will go back to the original residential hood and make changes to it before again converting a copy.

I don't want to loose any more hoods.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Baron
Marhis
Terrible Twerp

ISTP. Officially male since she plays MUDs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 February 01, 11:59:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried every possible combination: do not touch apt, change to res, lotbin, rebuild from scratch, etc. The lot ends always borked after a maximum of 2 or 3 game sessions.
As much as I would like the apt gameplay, I gave up; I like to play sims, dammit, not to nanny a game.

Fuck you, EA.

I say that a wise, when he does not know what he is talking about, should know enough to keep his mouth shut. -- C. Collodi, Pinocchio.
------
The one and only Rhayden's AIDE. Accept no substitutes.
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 February 01, 12:40:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before M & G, my apartments were in good shape. I could visit other apts and the way I had the furniture was visible and perfect.

After M & G, my playable sims visit the neighbors and you see 3 toliets in the livingroom, chess table and telescope in the kitchen, piano and chair in the bedroom, easel in the bathroom. No TV, radio, or sofa and living chairs. Oh yeah in the spare bedrooms, the stove and refrigerator. The wierd thing is when I play the neighbor (also playable) the household is the way I decorated it.

I have been so disgusted that I moved all my sims out of apartments to residential lots. EA you suck!

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
socurious
Exasperating Eyesore

Loki Craptastic!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 February 01, 16:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ha!  So M&G screwed up the screwed up apartments.  I was wondering why my furnished apartments kept losing the furnishings!   I also lose my fireplaces on residential lots.  Is there any correlation?

..."you should certainly be well-read in a subject before you pass judgement on it," Solowren
natalieae
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 February 01, 16:31:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason we do it, or at least the reason I do it, is because we suck at building apartments I guess.   Tongue  Goes something like this:

Build apt.  Move in sims.  Uh-oh, that's not working like I wanted.  Move sims out.  Fix problem (and break lot in process).  Move sims back in.  Ooops.  Lot is now broken and unplayable.  Crap.

Yes. Exactly.
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 February 01, 18:15:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After M & G, my playable sims visit the neighbors and you see 3 toliets in the livingroom, chess table and telescope in the kitchen, piano and chair in the bedroom, easel in the bathroom. No TV, radio, or sofa and living chairs. Oh yeah in the spare bedrooms, the stove and refrigerator. The wierd thing is when I play the neighbor (also playable) the household is the way I decorated it.
I do not have M&G.  However,  I have had this same crap happen when visiting neighbouring apts.  Not every apt and not all the time, but still, it looks so dumb.

brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 February 02, 01:41:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ha!  So M&G screwed up the screwed up apartments.  I was wondering why my furnished apartments kept losing the furnishings!   I also lose my fireplaces on residential lots.  Is there any correlation?

No problems with the residential lots. Fireplaces are in place, but cannot use custom recolors for my residential mailboxes. Guess I have to wait for an updated CEP?

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: