More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 15, 20:17:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Photo Skinning Questions
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Photo Skinning Questions  (Read 3732 times)
Carlynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
Photo Skinning Questions
« on: 2008 January 15, 04:31:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really wasn't sure where to put this one so if it is in the wrong place, please forgive my dumb ass!

I've been TRYING unsuccessfully to create sims that look like people I know, celebs, etc. using the photo skinning method.  I have used the tutorial that is located at Anna's Reich (Oepu), and 2 different ones posted at MTS2.  I have printed them out and followed each one step by step and I still can not do this.  I haven't figured out WHY I am having such a problem because when it comes to photo manipulation (for lack of a better term) in Photoshop, I can do almost anything.  Anything but this.

Last night I worked with the first tutorial I mentioned for 2 hours.  My goal was producing Queen Latifah.  What I ended up with was an attractive African American woman but it was NOT her.  I tried doing my daughter, my step-daughter and my daughter's favorite actress Amanda Bines.  Nothing.

So what I am asking in my ignorance is, to anyone who does this and is good at it, what tutorial did you use when you started, if any, and what tips do you have?  This can't be as hard as it seems.  Can it?

I have kids.  Nothing scares me anymore.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
Re: Photo Skinning Questions
« Reply #1 on: 2008 January 15, 05:35:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Photoskinning is more of an artistry / textures skill than a Simmerizing / Sim hacking skill. Sims how-to guides won't help much with learning how to texture a 3d object, I'm afraid. If you aren't already adept at using Painter or Photoshop techniques and pixel-painting and layers, you have a lot of practice ahead.

Also, there's a current thread on the drawbacks of photoskinned Sims (titled something like "My BodyShop is Borked, HALP!!). Breeding Sims with photoskinned features causes a lot of problems. Only photoskin if you are certain your Sim won't breed. Otherwise, learn to use sliders in BodyShop to make Sims that look like celebs.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 January 15, 06:27:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you thinking of this one with the quadbrowed baby?

Another alternative is to use the photoskinning method to make a full face makeup, and combine that with the usual feature-tweaking until it looks right. Makeup isn't hereditary, so spawn would still be normal.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 January 15, 08:40:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Last night I worked with the first tutorial I mentioned for 2 hours. 

I would recommend a bit more patience - 2 hours is NOTHING. Also don't expect your first few tries to be successful. Plus, there are faces that just cannot be simified due to the fact that sim faces are axis-symmetric, most human faces (especially the really interesting ones) are not. Just look at the celebs who had been photo skinned successfully - it's mostly people with very regular faces.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Carlynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 January 18, 08:00:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Two hours is NOTHING!?  Oh dear Lord...

Photoshop is the easy part.  Or so I THOUGHT.  I've only worked with layers to do glitter graphics in the past.  Never really tried the 3D thing until now.  My hubby says I have no depth preception so maybe that is it!  Wink

I bought that program you can use to make sims but guess what?  It sucks.  I can't even remember the name of it off the top of my head other than the word GOLD is in it.

So what you suggest it to just tweak the sim in Bodyshop until it looks like who I want it to.  That is going to be harder than using Photoshop! lol  I'll try that then.  I am guessing that is how the people over at MTS2 do it then, right?  They ask for photos of you facing forward and not smiling, a profile and a 3/4 view.  I guess if I accidently did my step-daughter I can do other people too.

I think...

Thanks for all of the pointers everyone!  I really do appreciate it! Grin

I have kids.  Nothing scares me anymore.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 January 18, 16:03:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bought that program you can use to make sims but guess what?  It sucks.  I can't even remember the name of it off the top of my head other than the word GOLD is in it.
Never, ever pay for any items nor programs for the Sims that aren't made by EA. They don't have the right to charge for them, and nine times out of ten they are crap compared to what's out there for free.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 January 20, 23:26:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure if this is usable for Sims, but I just stumbled™ across this tutorial: http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/photoshop/noesis_photoshop/index.html

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: