More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 04:00:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  ALERT!!! Sims DNA Being Reset to CAS Default!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: ALERT!!! Sims DNA Being Reset to CAS Default!  (Read 28920 times)
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
Re: ALERT!!! Sims DNA Being Reset to CAS Default!
« Reply #25 on: 2006 February 17, 05:16:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While the concept of this annoys me... I don't have the patience to check it out or fix it if it is a problem. Cheesy

Necromancy!! Grin

<insert witty comment here>
Meek_Monkey
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 February 17, 08:44:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed that alot of my sims with custom hair when giving birth the custom hair is not passed down so I use the simenhancer to find the right colour from the parent and passed on to the child it has been rather annoying to find the toddler with blonde or brown or black or red when I know that it should be a custom hair.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 February 17, 09:00:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had one of my born-in-game sims have a baby with Tosha Go after they graduated.  I had given Tosha a custom hairstyle, but as you know, she is naturally a blonde.  The custom hair was blonde too, but it was a custom style.  After the baby was born, I was looking in SimPE and noticed that Tosha's DNA showed a custom haircolor instead of the normal blonde, and her child had the gene as well plus a black hair gene from her father.  I can't figure out why changing Tosha's hair in the mirror would change her genetics, though?  I edited the DNA for both sims so it would be correct.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 February 17, 10:19:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had one of my born-in-game sims have a baby with Tosha Go after they graduated.  I had given Tosha a custom hairstyle, but as you know, she is naturally a blonde.  The custom hair was blonde too, but it was a custom style.  After the baby was born, I was looking in SimPE and noticed that Tosha's DNA showed a custom haircolor instead of the normal blonde, and her child had the gene as well plus a black hair gene from her father.  I can't figure out why changing Tosha's hair in the mirror would change her genetics, though?  I edited the DNA for both sims so it would be correct.
What's the timetable on that? Did this occur BEFORE or AFTER the installation of NL and/or Uni? Currently, I have data which suggests that any sim formed for any reason post-NL is "clean", but any sim as of at least Uni p0 has any current "form" imprinted into their DNA instead. For instance, I have a lot of elder sims currently displaying their genetic haircolor as gray. In fact, all my deceased elders display this, since all of them formed pre-NL, but anyone who became an elder post-NL lacks this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 February 17, 10:23:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It had to have been since NL because I had downloaded some new hair and used it on her, which was probably a month or so ago.  Until then, she had the hair she came with.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 20, 02:03:22 by rainbow » Logged
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 February 17, 14:02:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just want to say that when I tried modifying dna with TS2, my modified sims couldn't move and I had to use a backup.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 February 17, 14:35:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed that alot of my sims with custom hair when giving birth the custom hair is not passed down so I use the simenhancer to find the right colour from the parent and passed on to the child it has been rather annoying to find the toddler with blonde or brown or black or red when I know that it should be a custom hair.

Keep in mind that custom hair is gender-specific.  In some cases a baby born to parents with custom hair can be born with standard Maxis hair, for example if a baby girl inherited only male custom hair genes on both sides (or vice versa) -- when there is no custom hair of the appropriate gender available, the game will assign a Maxis default.  Also, if the baby girl's dominant gene is a male custom hair and the recessive gene is female custom hair, the female hair style will be displayed even though it's "recessive".

Also, in my experience at least, custom hair that is based on red or blonde doesn't pass down as often as custom hair that is based on black or brown, once you get past the first generation. 

Karen
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2006 February 17, 16:13:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just a reminder you can use the Sims2DB w/SimPE import to check recessive genetics, although of course you can't use it to change the DNA.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 February 18, 04:42:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am so glad you added that feature...before I had all of that written on paper...So Its very useful to me

ISFJ
sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 February 18, 04:46:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just checked mine and all is ok.  I only have one alien child but she has the father's genes listed too according to the simDNA command, I don't use SimPE).  

The only strange thing I have happening is when I had a Sim marry the DJ.  I never noticed before that they all look the same but when I clicked on him to talk I got a different thumbnail so I guess that hair is just part of his "work" clothes.  However, marrying him into the family I couldn't change his hair color.  He shows up as blonde but when I go to the mirror the black is marked (which is his DNA anyway and what he looked like as a DJ).  Was kind of a bummer.  My hood is overrun with black hair already - guess it is dominant.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 February 18, 15:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my experience, this problem is not related to any expansion/patch issue, but may be due to the deletion of sim DNA entries in the neighbordood file (I'm using SimPE)

I inspected my Pleasantview data, and asserted that only my last four born in game sims had their DNA correct!  Sad

I had manually deleted many townies before (as well as other "surgery sims"), following these steps:
  • delete sim's memories
  • delete sim's relations
  • delete sim's wants/fears entry
  • delete sim's DNA entry
  • delete sim's Description entry
  • finally delete character file

This fact alone wouldn't confirm it, but then I recalled that in my Strangetown - wich I had not played for a long time - I had also deleted characters, with the only difference being that time I didn't delete any DNA and wants/fears entries (ignorance is bliss ?).

In that neighborhood, my sims DNA appeared to be correct.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 February 20, 02:07:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a remote chance that the Enhanced Memory Editor Tool, as much as I love it, is causing this the same way that the alpha version of SimPE with the deleter tool was causing this?  I am finding more and more of my sims that are not showing the correct recessive genes.  I am going to have to fix all these kids now before they start breeding, because half the fun was seeing how the genetics turn out.   Angry
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 February 20, 02:13:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, there's one way to prove that theory: Go and backup your neighborhood, verify some recessive genetics in a sim, then go on a wholesale deleting spree as described above and see if any of the undeleted sims are damaged in the fallout.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 February 20, 03:18:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a remote chance that the Enhanced Memory Editor Tool [...] is causing this [...] ?

I don't think so, I've used its functions in all my neighborhoods. The only difference is that in my Strangetown I kept all the sim DNA entries (at that time I didn't know that those records were somehow linked to the sim description).

I am going to have to fix all these kids now before they start breeding

Same here, but considering that some of that data was wrong anyway - after I changed the genetic weight of the custom skins - I'm sure my Gameplay/Maintenance time ratio will remain reasonably low Tongue
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 February 20, 03:44:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is a bit offtopic and I don't know if it's related to anything, but one of my last born-in-game sims - apparently not affected by all this mess - is a bit of an oddity: the parents are dark and tan skinned (originally were Uni townies, so they are homozygous), but the child has medium-dark skin!

Here is the relevant data as seen in SimPE:
Parent A (dominant & recessive):
 - Skintone : 4
 - Skintone range: 4
Parent B (dominant & recessive):
 - Skintone : 2
 - Skintone range: 2
Child:
(dominant)
 - Skintone : 3
 - Skintone range : 4
(recessive)
 - Skintone : 3
 - Skintone range : 2

How could the game assume that genetic mixing of dark and tan skins would generate a medium-dark skin? Perhaps hidden game data, or an imminent BFBVFOS ?
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 February 20, 04:41:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game did that in multiple installs pairing up Lilith Pleasant with Dirk Dreamer.

Dark + Pale skin = 1 child tanned, 1 child pale.

<insert witty comment here>
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 February 20, 04:42:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is a bit offtopic and I don't know if it's related to anything, but one of my last born-in-game sims - apparently not affected by all this mess - is a bit of an oddity: the parents are dark and tan skinned (originally were Uni townies, so they are homozygous), but the child has medium-dark skin!
Sounds normal to me. The game automatically knows how to mix any Maxian (or, recently discovered, "genetically enabled") skins to produce intermediate tones.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 February 20, 05:50:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds normal to me. The game automatically knows how to mix any Maxian (or, recently discovered, "genetically enabled") skins to produce intermediate tones.

This sounds like what I've been after, who discovered genetically enabled skins and where could I find out more? Google doesn't know.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 February 20, 07:53:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This sounds like what I've been after, who discovered genetically enabled skins and where could I find out more? Google doesn't know.

Changing Dominant/Recessive Values on Skin and Eyes
location - MATY/Peasantry  Wink
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=2966.0
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2006 February 20, 10:20:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Sleepycat, what I was actually after was melding or creating intermediate skins.

I was always disappointed with sim skins - so binary - no melding - just either / or.

I've downloaded the tutorial doc, I'll see what happens if I get a chance to play with the genetics. From what I think I understand though, if I have a purple sim and a white sim, I still won't get a lavender baby. Sad

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 February 20, 11:40:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks JMP and Sleepycat, you are right, changing the values in the genetic field will also induce the behavior I described.
I'll just quote Syera's text, highlighting the part I skimmed previously Embarrassed

[...] Maxis' skins are set at the following...

.90 - Dark
.60 - Olive
.30 - Tan
.10 - Light

If you made a skintone that was somewhere between the .90 (dark) and .60 (olive) complexions, then you could class it as .80, and the child of two Sims with the first two colors could have a child with your custom skintone.  This way, you could fairly well fill in any "missing" shades you felt your game needed.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 February 20, 20:26:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Sleepycat, what I was actually after was melding or creating intermediate skins.

I was always disappointed with sim skins - so binary - no melding - just either / or.

I've downloaded the tutorial doc, I'll see what happens if I get a chance to play with the genetics. From what I think I understand though, if I have a purple sim and a white sim, I still won't get a lavender baby. Sad

ahhh BUT if you make or have a custom lavender skintone and set the genetics so that the lavender skintone fits between the white and purple skintones (change them so they aren't custom anymore) then your sims would have a chance at getting a lavender baby!

*giggles* If you don't use regular skintones at all then you could make default files in the colors you perfer and then do a bunch of combined colors (like lavender) that fit between the main 4 default skintones.

S1 - white
between - light pink
between - pink
between - lavender
between - lilac
S2 - purple
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 February 21, 02:04:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem with that logic is that skin tones are on a linear scale, not a 2D scale. So if you classify the "purple" skintone as being "darker", and you then breed with a "lighter" sim, you get any skintone in the inclusive range between them, which may include completely non-purple skintones, like green or orange.

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 February 21, 02:30:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*knows that* That was just an example *laughs*

But, if someone worked out their skintone colors ranging from light pink to very dark purple across all 4 defaults (with some shades inbetween if they want) then they would get the same effect as the maxis skintones, only in the colors of their choice. If someone went with something like my example then they might want to only breed sims in the same color range and use the other default ranges for other colors. 
hedgekat
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006 March 03, 20:23:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just had almost an entire neighborhood experience this resetting of DNA   On 2/19  I  cloned a custom neighborhood containing 91 Sims,  20 of whom were CAS created,  the rest born in game except for a few newly generated NPCs and two new townies.   DNA for all sims in this hood was normal.   

I cloned the hood in order to fast forward procreation of new generations.  Have had 77 new sims born in this hood since 2/19.   The last couple of days I had noticed a few toddlers converting with custom hair.  None of the original CAS sims had custom hair as I wanted the genetics to work as normally as possible. When I checked DNA with Simpe I found that every one of the 91 sims that this hod began with were all set as CAS sims.   NO recessive genetics at all.   Those who had been given custom hairstyles with a mirror after their creation/birth now had that custom hair in their genetics. 

Of the 48 children born from  2/19 to  2/26 only 5 have heterozygous DNA  Of the remaining several could only have received DNA from one parent, having the same skin tone in both slots when parents were homozygous for different skin tones.  Some had the same custom hair in both slots.  Of those, two at least received the custom hair after birth  so are in the same category as the original characters, having been given CAS status later.  Begining on 2/27 almost all of the 29 children born since are heterozygous for at least one trait,  though some have received custom hair.

So it looks like possibly something happened to reset nearly all the sims created before 2/27.  But I can't imagine what.   I have had Nl since it came out and patched it the first time but have not the second.  I use hacks heavily in this game,  primarily InSimenator and Inge's teleport shrub.  I also have Inteenimator plus a lot of Pescado's and TwoJeffs hacks plus sevaral of Inge's.  The only new hack that I have added in this time period is the NoBusker hack.  But don't see any way that would affect it.   Only other additions have been some new hairs plus meshes,  a bit of makeup, a few clothes but no clothes meshes.

I haven't deleted any sims,  with Simpe or without.  Only thing I have used Simpe for is to change some babies last names.   (Still using V.48)  I did run DatGen sometime during that time frame to weed out some downloads but don't think that could affect character files. 

So it looks like I either trash this neighborhood or go through and rewrite 130 or so DNA files.   What fun.   Embarrassed   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: